Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Want opinions on locking flooring

I'm going to be putting hardwood into two bedrooms and a hallway, about 550 sq ft. I like the idea of locking flooring, seems pretty simple. I'm wondering how does it feel to walk on it? Does it bounce? Can you tell it's not secured to the sub-floor? Just don't want to spend a couple grand and feel like I'm walking on a "fake" floor.
schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #2

That's the nature of any laminite. It does flex some, sound hollow when walked on, and is not real wood and looks like a plastic floor to me.
It will also need transition strips under all doorways.
Check into engineered flooring instead.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-22-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #3

I would consider an engineered tongue and groove floor. These are even easier to install than the locking stuff and it is made up or real wood that could be refinished in the future. These products can be stapled or floated. The thicker the material is the more solid it generally feel when floated. However, with stapling it will feel solid regardless. You can even rent thee staplers at most tool rental shops.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

I was under the impression that some engineered was locking. I would never go with laminate. I put in about 900 sq ft of a bamboo floor, stapled, I'm trying to avoid that much effort this time around. BUT I want it to feel right & look right. I'll put in the time if I have to. Just checking options.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #5

Get an engineered wood floor, with quick loc or other "name" they use. I just installed 700' myself with all the angles and cuts in 14 hrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Want opinions on locking flooring-p5130846.jpg   Want opinions on locking flooring-p5130842.jpg   Want opinions on locking flooring-p5130843.jpg   Want opinions on locking flooring-p5130844.jpg  
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatzi View Post
I was under the impression that some engineered was locking. I would never go with laminate. I put in about 900 sq ft of a bamboo floor, stapled, I'm trying to avoid that much effort this time around. BUT I want it to feel right & look right. I'll put in the time if I have to. Just checking options.

Some engineered is the locking type. Sorry if I confused you on that.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

I've seen a couple of friends install this lately and in one case it feels "loose" when you walk on it and in another it feels solid. I think you need to make sure the under surface is flat, ideally. I hate to second guess a complete stranger but I think if I installed laminate I might regret it later, especially when you see real hardwood. I know hardwood is at least twice the price but there's resale value and just look and feel to consider.
JobsiteJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

This is not a laminate floor, it's real wood just engineered which makes it very strong. FYI - this is by Kahrs, google them as they invented parque almost 160 yrs ago and they also invented the "click" or "locking" floors, so everyone else just copied them. This floor was $3.29 USD per ft in Buffalo and you only pay HST when crossing. Yes, some floor feel or sound hollow, but if you use the foam type underlay then you won't hear that. However, it is a different sound the nailed or glued floor because it floats and only takes getting used to.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #9

Thought I would post a follow up since I've now finished putting in the floating hardwood flooring. As mentioned above I also put about 900sf of 3/4" bamboo nailed into my main level a couple of years ago so I have "some" experience to compare the floating floor to. I bought 550sf of a locking engineered oak floor 3/8" thick. Ran it continuous throughout two bedrooms, a connecting hallway and four closets. The subfloor was near if not perfectly level and I used 15lb roofing paper as the under barrier. I know they make better stuff but it also costs 10 or 20 times as much. The install was a breeze. The locking of the flooring was very tight and once I had about 10 feet down I knew I had made the right decision. The real test has been since I've finished. Would we like the look and feel of the floor? The answer is a big YES. It's been a couple of weeks and at least once a day either my wife or I will comment on how great the floor looks. It feels solid, looks like any other type of hardwood floor and since I did it on my own it was cheap. A great purchase.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #10

Yup.......sure is nice and nicer when you do it yourself. BTW - it's still 100% wood even if it's engineered and floating contrary to what people think.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #11

And about 100 times better looking than any laminate. IMO
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote