Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to clavine
Share |

Wall Tile Help

I am going to be doing my first tiling project, a tub surround, around a jacuzzi tub. We have installed georgia pacific's wall board which is meant for tubs and resistant to molding and are getting ready to tile. The Board is set above the flange which leaves a 1" approximate gap at the bottom. What do you do with this gap. Do you fill it or just lay the tile over it? If you fill it do you just fill it with the thinset you are going to use to set the tiles? In the corners of the shower do you overlap the tiles by putting one tile up against the wall and the other over it so there is no gap? And, is the mortar caustic? I've read it can burn your hands. Please help. I am very nervous about doing it wrong because it is not easily fixed. My other half keeps assuring me this isn't going to be hard. I'm sure I'll feel more confident once I start, but I'd like some opinions on my post. Thanks.

clavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Wall Tile Help

If you are setting tile over drywall (sheetrock) which seems to be what you are saying... Remove it. Or add 1/4" cement backer board. Seal all the seams as described by instructions. Apply a waterproofing over the board, something like RedGard. The gap above the tub is fine. Just lap the tiles over it leaving a gap of 1/8" - 1/4" which will get filled with caulk latter, not grout. Use a modified thinset to set your tiles. Not causic enough to be concered with. Read more on this subject before starting...

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Wall Tile Help

You may be able to buy corner tiles. Depends on what you are using. Thinset tends to dry your hands severely. Find a good lotion to use. Occasionally someone is allergic to it. Good Luck and take your time.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Tileguy

Wall Tile Help

There are no corners for the application.

Which GP product did you plan to use? Is this going to be used as a tub/shower? No 1/4" tile backer on walls. If anything the substrate should have been shimmed out to clear the flange before it was installed.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to clavine

Wall Tile Help

We are using Georgia Pacific Dens-Shield Tile Backer. It is made for wet applications. This requires RedGard on the enire board?
clavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #6

Wall Tile Help

DensShield is fine, no waterproofing needed, it already has a waterproof face on it, caulk the seams well before tiling, I like to tape and thinset them, then redgard just that area or install a vapor barrier just down the corners over the studs there to protect from any moisture that might get through the corners, do not install a vapor barrier over the whole wall behind DensShield.

Why is there a 1" gap?

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic tile, tiling, tub surround, wall tile