Walk In Shower - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

walk in shower

How do you figure out the square footage for a walk in shower? I don't have the time to tile it and a guy said he would tile it for me for so much a sq. ft. I'm having the floor, walls and even the ceiling tiled. What's the formula for figuring this out?

Advertisement

tkh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 634

walk in shower

Lenght X width ad all the areas up and add 10% when picking up the tile for waste.
If he really knew what he was doing and wants the job let him tell you how many ft. it is.
I'd never let a customer do the measuring.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

walk in shower

Sounds like the "guy" is a handyman and might be the beginning of a hack job. This is not the way this step is done.

You need to have this person over and xplain how he plans to build the shower including how he's gonna waterproof it. Then post here for our review.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
BigJim (08-17-2012), oh'mike (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

walk in shower

I already have all the tile. I was just kind of getting a ballpark price for myself to see if it is worth having someone else do it before I get ahold of the guy.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

walk in shower

Well, if you already have the tiles you have a good idea how big it is. But that's not the important part. How it's done is crucial. It the guy a licensed tile setter? What method does he use? Where are you located?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 634

walk in shower

Tile laying is a one shot deal, done wrong and it's all got to come out and be redone in most cases. Look around on this site at the hundreds of horror storys on tile jobs gone wrong just because of skipping some important steps or using the wrong materials.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #7

walk in shower

The shower is built already. Everything is done in this bathroom, plumbing, electrical, floor tile, toilet, vanity, etc. except for tiling the shower and putting up the rest of the membrane which is a Noble product. My husband did a lot of research on doing the walls, pouring the pan, what products to use, waterproofing, etc. It is done right. He took on a new job where he's not home much and thought he may want someone to come in and finishing the tile. I have had three other quotes and in my opinion were way out of line. I think because they didn't do the install, the prep work from the get-go, they didn't seem to interested and priced me high. One guy sells tile and he doubled the price because I didn't purchase the tile from him. This guy I found does all the tile work for a reputable construction company that got very good reviews on Angie's List. If I choose to go with him, I will get some references and he said he would email me his portfolio. I would also like for him to come out and actually look at the job. He said he charges $4.75 a sq. ft. I didn't know if that is reasonable or not. I was just trying to figure out how many sq. ft. I have to see if this is a lot cheaper than the other quotes I got.

Advertisement