Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl tiles over tar adhesive

I had asbestos tiles removed from 6 stairs leading to my basement. There is now a tar adhesive left on the steps. I wanted to put down some peel 'n' stick tiles on the stairs. If I remove the tar with an adhesive remover, will that surface then be suitable for the tiles? Or am I going to have to put down an underlayment over the steps? If I need an underlayment on the steps, do I still need to remove the tar first? Thanks!

zzty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,150

That tar may also contain asbestos.
Those old tiles were harmless untill you tried to remove them.
Got some pictures of these steps?
Peel and stick tile is one thing I refuse to install for lots of reason, just not a good choice. And I can not imagine using them on stair treads.
Why not just remove the whole tread and replace with solid wood treads?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Well, I don't really know what to believe. The guy at Home Depot told me the tar does not contain asbestos. He said he worked in flooring for 15 years. But I've seen online people saying it does. I had an asbestos company remove the tiles, because they were not in good condition, and I already had them there to take care of some other asbestos material. I'm thinking I will call the asbestos company to see what they have to say.

Wouldn't replacing the whole tread be a difficult project for someone with little experience in this stuff? I was hoping for an easier solution. That's why I was thinking peel n stick... I wouldn't be opposed to painting either. But I need a better surface to paint on.

I attached a photo, hopefully that worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl tiles over tar adhesive-basement-steps.jpg  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,116

The adhesive generally contained more asbestos than the tile. I surprised that the abatement company didn't remove it.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

I just got off the phone with the asbestos guy. He said I would need to test the mastic to see if it contains asbestos to know for sure. He said basically I have two options. Remove the treads entirely and replace or use a good adhesive to put down vinyl flooring right on top of it. He said do not try using a solvent on the mastic as the wood will then absorb the solvent and create a smell in the house. He said I will not be able to scrape it off. Furthermore, they put down an "encapsulant" down right over it when they were here. So... There is yet another opinion that I've heard. I am wondering if adhesive will truly bond to the mastic...?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

Here is a link I found from the Flooring Contractors Association:

https://www.fcica.com/press-room/art...k201d-adhesive

It looks like I'm back to putting an underlayment over top.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzty00 View Post
Here is a link I found from the Flooring Contractors Association:

https://www.fcica.com/press-room/art...k201d-adhesive

It looks like I'm back to putting an underlayment over top.
Be careful, that link has a virus attached.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree that ripping the treads and risers would be extreme. You should cover with 1/4" underlayment suitable for the type of covering you decide on. You could even install carpeting.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
olzo55 (10-02-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Merle West

Black Mastic is known to cause cancer. You had bettor have all the safety precautions on the job such as masks, gloves and so on. Also check with the city to see where you can dump the mastic legally.

Last edited by oh'mike; 09-30-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: removed link
Merle West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I can tell you without a doubt that some black mastic contains asbestos..... also some brown and yellow does as well. Only way to be sure is to test. Your abatement company should have tested it. Standard practice for us is to test tiles and mastic both, prior to removal. I'd refrain from anything that disolves the stuff. It may be that till you get done fussing over it, it may be easier to just replace the treads and move on.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,022

" Furthermore, they put down an "encapsulant" down right over it when they were here "

If that's the case why not do as JazMan said, and cover the tread and riser with a 1/4 inch underlayment and then install what you want?
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1
If that's the case why not do as JazMan said, and cover the tread and riser with a 1/4 inch underlayment and then install what you want?
I think it's the best choice, obviously.

Heck, it's a wooden substrate, nail/screw some plywood. It's easy and best.

I gotta raise a brow reading all these dire warnings about asbestos and adhesives that may contain any. Some may want us to believe we should wear space suits to even enter a house that has some.

It only has the potential to harm you if you sand it and breath in the dust in a confined space for a long time. Like working in a mineral mine for 40 years. Many have scraped floors containing asbestos many times with no apparent effects. If you had to remove suspected materials, keep it damp and use your head.

I'm not recommending anyone do anything they don't feel confy with. Check the materials for asbestos, or just assume certain products contain asbestos and proceed accordingly.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 83

As Sam said, use the 1/4" plywood recommended for your flooring. Put some newspaper or rosin paper between the black adhesive and the plywood. It prevents having a spot that clicks if the ply grabs and releases on the adhesive between fasteners.

olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote