Vinyl Tiles Over Pre-existing Layers - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Vinyl Tiles over pre-existing layers

Hello I have a question i hope someone can help with. We have a room in our apartment that has Vinyl Tiles over some old tiles that im not sure what material is is. The old stuff is on there pretty solid, and so are most of the vinyl tiles on top. We dont want to go to the hassle of pulling up the Vinyl tiles. Not to mention the possiblity of damageing the tiles underneath to lay some Vinyl planks on top. Any one have any suggestions and tips on getting our new stuff down with minimal hassle of the old stuff. If this was our house i houl already be pulling out the tiles or putting on a new plywood subfloor or something. But that is all a bit much for a rental. Thank you for any help you can give.

Advertisement

Thwiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Building inspector

Rewards Points: 25

Vinyl Tiles over pre-existing layers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwiipp View Post
Hello I have a question i hope someone can help with. We have a room in our apartment that has Vinyl Tiles over some old tiles that im not sure what material is is. The old stuff is on there pretty solid, and so are most of the vinyl tiles on top. We dont want to go to the hassle of pulling up the Vinyl tiles.
You will probably wish you had if there is loose material, you are going to be creating another problem if it's not done right in the first place.

Installing new tiles over any loose material is a waste of time and money.

If it was mine, I would have it all removed and installed correctly.

Follow the manufacturers installation instructions, I doubt overlay is an option.

Advertisement

inspects is offline   Reply With Quote