Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl plank - freeze/thaw problems

We want to use vinyl plank in our cabin - but may not always have the heat on during the winter months. We've heard that of freeze/thaw problems that create gaps between the planks.

We haven't chosen a manufacturer yet.

Can anyone advise us on this?
Thank you.

crimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

It would help if we knew where this cabin is located. You're correct in assuming you're going to have some tiles pop in sub-zero temps. The adhesive isn't made for extremes like that. If you only get cracks between the planks, consider yourself lucky. Choose a manufacturer, then read what they say about min. temps. I'll bet they'll try to avoid the subject.

Chances are good that you'll have pretty good success if you install the flooring in the spring so it has many months to settle. Buy about 15-20% extra for repairs, if this kind of installation is approved by the manufacturer.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply!! The cabin is on the Sunshine Coast in southern British Columbia. Normally the winter temperatures are above 0C (32F) but we can have a couple of weeks during the winter when the temperatures can be somewhere between -10C and 0C (0F and 32F) The climate is a lot like Seattle.

If keeping the temperature in the cabin above freezing at all times is enough to solve the problem, then we'd consider doing that.
crimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #4

You would be better of installing something that floats rather than is secured to the surface. My cabin is subject to very cold temperatures.

When I bought the place it had tiles glued on the floor and they were all buckled and uneven. The slab can get to 10 degrees in the winter and over 80 in the summer. The glue would get so brittle it would crack and then in the summer when the tiles expanded they would lift where the glue had failed.

I have put on some cheap laminate (it's just a cabin) and it works well. There is enough room on the edges to allow for expansion and contraction. It has seen 6 seasons and so far so good.