Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Which vinyl plank flooring to buy?

Like most homeowners, I've scaled back kitchen remodel plans to just what's necessary, and one of those necessary things is flooring. I've narrowed it down to vinyl plank for the following reasons:

1. Easy to install
2. Easy to cut (Cowardly DIYer is afraid of electric saws, which makes it hard to do much!)
3. Resistant to water and staining (hubby is messy in the kitchen
4. Cost-effective

Hardwood isn't viable, laminate is "clacky" and requires a saw to cut...and can have water issues, ceramic tile is hard and cold (as are other tiles). I've heard some not-great things about cork in terms of discoloration and wear.

The Trafficmaster Allure that they have at Home Depot looks awesome, but I've heard horror stories about off-gassing, odors, buckling, bad adhesive, and on and on. Likewise with Konekto, which I gather is made by the same company.

Armstrong makes one. Earthwerks looks interesting because their stuff is recyclable.

I'm skeptical of stuff sold at Home Depot, because some of it is not-as-good versions of name products.

The kitchen is above grade (1 story above the ground) and the flooring will be installed over an existing sheet vinyl floor that dates from sometime between 1975 and 1980, so it may contain asbestos -- that's why I'm installing over it. The sheet vinyl is curling up under the cabinets and around the wall oven cabinet, so I thought I'd cut the curling parts and use a floor leveling compound to even it out in those places.

So which product should I use that won't make us sick from the odors, will wear well with messy husband, and is easy to clean?
CowardlyDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

The two best price points that I've seen with good quality are Naturelle and Shaw. Shaw has just introduced their vinyl line and it may not be the easiest to fine right now. Naturelle has been around a while and have some of the best features for the money. I could retail most of their products around $4 a sf and you'd be getting a light commercial warranty, with a ceramic bead wear layer, and a nanosilver antimicrobial treatment. Good stuff overall. Naturelle is my preferred brand, but sometimes you can't find the look you want in a particular brand and must look elsewhere.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Veteran Rehabber

I have installed Allure in my rentals and rehabs for the last 3 years. In only one install did I have a problem with off-gassing. It lasted about a week. Fortunately, no one was living there at the time. I've read other posts where TrafficMaster refunded the purchase price without question after mentioning this problem. So is it worth the risk? That's for you to decide but I know the cost is 1/2 of the other vinyl plank products, so it works for me.
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommendations, vinyl plank