Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

(vinyl) flooring rolled up to serve as wall base?

First time I noticed this while visiting a park building for a company sponsored employee family photo shoot.

The flooring appears to be vinyl? And it appears they layed out extra length than what would span the floorspace and rolled/bent that up along bottom of walls to serve as a replacement for sanitary wall base or traditional baseboard.

What is interesting is that this building is not industrial, is actually an old Victorian? era home partly restored and updated for modern living and used as a event center in the park. By partly restored, I meant to say I noticed that some of the exterior walls and roof edges were rotting. But the inside was remodeled nicely. The flooring in the photo is the only thing that I noticed that seemed strange in terms of remodelling the inside.

While unconventional, it is an interesting design choice to me still. Though I suppose if water leaked/dripped on wall, it could then go into the floor below the vinyl the way its done here. But on the other hand, with this design, no water can seep into wall or floor from the intersection of the wall and the floor (sanitary wall base and baseboard still leaves a very small gap whether you caulk that or not, though baseboard does absorb some of the water).
Attached Thumbnails
(vinyl) flooring rolled up to serve as wall base?-img_20121020_135724.jpg  

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 22

Probably linoleum. It is stiff enough and that is not unusual to install that way.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

This type of vinyl is normally installed in medical buildings. It has a plastic form at the corner under the vinyl where the floor and wall meet and a metal cap to finish the edge. The corners are scribed to fit the corner tight and then welded with a vinyl welding gun to seal the corners. They also weld the seams on the floor. This type of vinyl is normally 6' wide. This is not a DIY job. The welding equipment is expensive and it takes a while to learn to do it.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Thanks for the insight. Is there a reason this isn't used in most homes? Is it cost, doesn't look good, easy of replacement to other flooring options, other usage factors, or that it's hard to find an residential installer (vs a commercial one)?
daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 22

Most people don't like the seam every 6', this only comes 6' wide and installation is expensive. It takes an installer trained in heat welding. A true craftsman.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

its not that uncommon, many buildings in my area have that. In fact the office where i work has something similar, except its carpet, not linoleum. The carpet continues about 6 inches up the wall where it is topped with a 2" trim piece.
Attached Thumbnails
(vinyl) flooring rolled up to serve as wall base?-carpet.jpg  

TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote