Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl flooring over wood slat subfloor

I was going to caulk the edges of my vinyl bathroom floor and found a water damage disaster instead. This is an old Victorian and the original floor is wood slats about 2 inches wide with a small gap between each slat. What I found is that there are 2 layers of vinyl and there is moisture between the layers. I'm guessing the felt backing wicked up the water. Under the bottom layer of vinyl there is some sort of white plaster type stuff (up to 1/2 inch deep) and under that is very wet wood. It seems pretty certain that both layers of vinyl will have to come up as well as the plaster. The wood underneath is VERY uneven. Once I get this wood clean and dry, what is the best cheap way to redo the floor? Lowe's suggested Henry's self leveler with vinyl over.

Patricia54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #2

Never ever take advice from a box store!
Cut out the floor back to the floor joist and install nex Advantec 3/4 T &G subflooring. It gets glued and screwed down with ceramic coated deck screw and constrution adhesive.
Go over that with 1//4 subfloor rated A/C plywood making sure to not have the seams line up with the subflooring. It needs to be attached every 4" on the edges and 6 to 8" in the field.
Fill the seams and any flaws with nongypsom floor levler.
Want it to look like a bumpy back road? Take the box stores advice, save money and reget it every time you look at it.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-08-2012 at 07:39 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (02-08-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #3

Thanks Joe,
This is an old Victorian; there may not be floor joists as we see them in newer buildings. The wood slats that I see may be what used to serve as joists. Why use 2 layers of plywood? I get the t&g but what is the extra 1/4 for? Just having visions of water getting trapped between the layers again. Still have not figured out the moisture source. Non-gypsom would mean don't use something that is portland cement based?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #4

Most common reasons bathroom floors fail is a leaking wax ring under the toilet. A really old house may not even have a floor flange under the toilet. The toilet is laged to the floor with what's called a hanger bolt. It starts to leak, rots out the floor and the bolts pull out.
If that's the case get back to us and we will tell you how to fix that.

Second one is there was no silicone caulking where the tub meets the flooring and or the flooring was not layed close enough to the tub.

Third, rising moisture from below because there is no vaper barrer or standing water under the house.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

Thanks. The tub is gone and replaced by a shower pan. Pretty sure both shower and toilet are downhill from the worst moisture. The house has a crawl space under it so I suppose water could be there, but I think the house is at least a foot off the ground. The worst moisture is by the corner sink and along the wall that is near the kitchen sink. I've checked the cabinets under and downhill from the kitchen sink and the area is dry. There were little 1/2 inch squares that had not been caulked and the bathroom lino was slightly overlapping the kitchen lino at the doorway. This was covered by a transition strip. I've lived here 2 years and always cleaned the area with a hand towel. Do you suppose this could have come from the prior residents mopping? Also, it is the bottom of a duplex and the toilet upstairs is over this area. One wall is bone dry, but the other wall is drywall so I can't be sure if there is water inside. Is there a way to check this without removing the drywall?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #6

After I have installed the 3/4" T&G,the 1/4'' A>C plywood, in my bath what is the best(going to last and be trouble free) floor covering?
It will be in a rent house
Vinyl, ceramic tile or ???
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #7

I found the leak--almost. It is the drainpipe that the bathroom and kitchen drain feed into. Pulled off some of the drywall and I can see a piece of pipe with water running down the outside. Plumber coming tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Tags
floor leveler, vinyl floor