Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
wilderstyle

Share |

vinyl flooring hints

OKAY, I cut the vinyl floor for the front bathroom on the project house. Any hints and watchoutfors, before I glue the puppy down?
Yup, I am on the west coast, so I will await you early rising easterners for my answer. That is unless someone I know on the west coast is 'pacifically readin this and is still awake enough to skool me.
Nestor you got any specifics for me? It does have a tile pattern so I will need to make sure that is squared up, other than that any glue suggestions?
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Theres more then one way.

vinyl flooring hints

I did a small piece (8x15 ?) a year or so ago and while looking for advice was told to use a weighted roller (100 lb) which helps the vinyl flatten and adhere with the "glue".
Pretty sure i used subfloor adhesive paste which was in a small tub and had to troweled it on, cant think of the name or type.

_

My current learning experience -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #3

vinyl flooring hints

Home Depot should have an install kit from Armstrong.
It's a smart buy for only 20 bucks or so.
comes with everything...
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
wilderstyle

vinyl flooring hints

Thanks florcraft. I already have some glue stuff a contractor told me to buy. I have a small notched trowel and my vinyl cut to size. Once again, just nerves and now fog rolling in. Can't go anywhere for a bit due to the fog so I am just asking questions and getting my mind ready for the task. It is a a basic L shaped bath with the tub straight across from the door and the toilet on the inset. Glue and cutting always get to my nerves! Heck, I took out walls and used a saws all, guess I can glue a dang floor!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #5

vinyl flooring hints

You dry fit the Vinyl where you want it to go. Then lift up 1/2 and glue it down. Do the same to the other 1/2.
Roll it all.

Install base.

good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #6

vinyl flooring hints

Wilderstyle:

What I normally do is:
1. make a pattern of the floor out of wallpaper,
2. put the wallpaper pattern on the vinyl and align it so that the most visible baseboard is parallel to any pattern on the vinyl so the flooring doesn't look "crooked" when installed. (Ensure both pattern and vinyl are right side up.)
3. tape the pattern down in places and trace it's outline onto the vinyl with a felt pen.
4. cut out the pattern
5. loose lay the pattern on the floor and do any final cuts to improve the fit
6. get something that's really quite heavy, like a spouse, and set it on one side of the floor.
7. pull back the other side of the floor, spread your glue, wait the necessary time for it to get tacky and spread your flooring onto that side of the floor being careful not to trap any air bubbles under the vinyl.
8. move the weight to the other side of the floor and do an encore performance

If you have an "L" shaped floor, we can picture that as consisting of 4 squares; squares 1 to 3 run horizontally from left to right and square #4 sits atop square #3.

I would put the weight on square #2, or if you have more weights, I'd put weights on both squares # 1 and # 2.

Then spread the glue on both squares 3 and 4. Wait for the glue to get tacky and lay the vinyl down in squares 3 and 4.

Now, moves the weight to square 3 and pull up the vinyl on squares 1 and 2 and do them together, or do square #2 and then square #1.

If you do square #2 separately, then lay the vinyl down over square # 1 and confirm that it still fits well there. The vinyl may have moved slightly, and you want to check that no further trimming is needed for the best possible fit.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-01-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #7

vinyl flooring hints

And Nestor comes in with some serious instructions!

Good job-
Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #8

vinyl flooring hints

Wilderstyle:

Further: Either the day after you get that flooring in, or the day after it's warranty expires (your choice), get some "Vinyl composition tile floor SEALER" at any of your local janitorial supply stores. (Personally, I like "First Down" from Buckeye for this.)

Clean the floor well. Maybe use a Magic Eraser to clean it with to remove all of the dirt on it.

Get a white rag wet with water, squeeze out the water and lay it on the new vinyl. Pour some sealer onto that rag and use the rag to give the floor a coat of sealer. Stop at about 7 or 8 coats, keeping the rag in a clear plastic bag between coats so the rag doesn't dry out. It'll harden up if it dries out.

The sealer will protect your vinyl from stains. That's primarily what sealers are used for on vinyl composition tile floors. VC tiles will stain quickly and deeply if you spill the wrong stuff on them, and the job of the sealer is to protect VC tiles from stains. The sealer will dry crystal clear, so it won't affect the appearance of your floor other than perhaps give it a deeper gloss.

PS: The coalescing solvents in the sealer will dissolve most printing inks, so if there's any printing on the bag you're keeping the rag in, ensure that you don't turn the bag inside out so the ink comes in contact with the sealer. If you do, the ink will dissolve in the sealer and you'll be spreading coloured sealer onto your floor, giving it a permanent uniform stain. Better yet, clean the printing off the bag with acetone before using it. Also, use a WHITE rag because the coalescing solvents can also dissolve some fabric dyes too.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-01-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
wilderstyle

vinyl flooring hints

Thanks guys. When the fog lifts and it warms a bit that floor is getting glued! Hey Nestor easy on the spouse jokes. Although my guy is way heavier than me, he will be at work since this is a jobsite house. I love your brain, but your brawn was showing there a bit. Although, I do love the clever effort.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #10

vinyl flooring hints

Quote:
Further: Either the day after you get that flooring in, or the day after it's warranty expires (your choice), get some "Vinyl composition tile floor SEALER" at any of your local janitorial supply stores. (Personally, I like "First Down" from Buckeye for this.)
What if it's a "no wax" high end Vinyl floor?
Never seen the need for suppliments....especially in a bath.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
wilderstyle

vinyl flooring hints

It is not high end nor will I be around to protect it. This is a project house, no worries. I do my best, for the greatest impact! Got my camera fixed so I can show you guys when I am done.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #12

vinyl flooring hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florcraft View Post
What if it's a "no wax" high end Vinyl floor?
Never seen the need for suppliments....especially in a bath.
If it wuz me, I'd put sealer on it.

I don't think any sheet vinyl manufacturer recommends you "wax" their vinyl floors. So far as I know, all sheet vinyl floors are "no wax" floors.

But, that don't mean that they're stain resistant. The purpose in putting the sealer down is to protect the floor from stains. If the floor is already stain resistant, you haven't done any harm. You just have more protection now.

The only trouble I've had putting sealer on my bathroom sheet vinyl floors is that sometimes the sheet vinyl has a soft cushion layer in it, making it too soft to provide sufficient support for the sealer. The sealer dries to a hard film that will sometimes crack when the floor under it is too soft. The sealer remains stuck to the floor, and the cracks are tiny and aren't even visible unless you inspect the flooring closely, on all fours kinda thing. Also, I should say that in 21 bathrooms, ALL of the bathroom sheet vinyl floors in my building are vinyl backed "linoleums" which tend to be softer than a standard paper backed linoleum, and I have maybe one or two bathroom floors that are too soft for the sealer. Most of the sheet vinyls are hard enough to support the sealer. If a person were to opt for the much more common paper backed sheet vinyl floor, then I believe cracking of the sealer wouldn't be an issue.

Also, in my opinion, even having cracks in the sealer on the sheet vinyl is much more desireable than having a stain in that vinyl. Before I started putting sealer on my sheet vinyl floors, I regularily had to use bleach to take stains out of them. Now, I never get stains on my bathroom floors anymore.

The big danger to sheet vinyl floors is often in a bathroom. Tenants will go out and buy cheap bath mats that are made in China and not even washed to rinse out the excess dye in them before they're packaged and shipped of to America for sale. When those bath mats get wet, the dye bleeds out of them and stains the floor. Also, rubber backed floor mats stain sheet vinyl floors because the plasticizer in the rubber backing of the mat leaches into the sheet vinyl. Also, stains commonly come from strong chemicals left on the floor beside or behind the toilet, or near the front or back ends of the bathtub. People leave highly alkaline drain cleaners and acidic soap scum removers on the bathroom floor.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-02-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #13

vinyl flooring hints

Quote:
I don't think any sheet vinyl manufacturer recommends you "wax" their vinyl floors. So far as I know, all sheet vinyl floors are "no wax" floors.
Almost. there are urethane and PVC finished floors. PVC is not good for preventing stains.

Quote:
But, that don't mean that they're stain resistant. The purpose in putting the sealer down is to protect the floor from stains. If the floor is already stain resistant, you haven't done any harm. You just have more protection now.
Not quite. Higher end Vinyl floors have a protective finish on them. Yes you can suppliment with another sealer but you will need to take off the already good factory finish for it to adhere.
Just like replacing the finish on the wood floor. I have yet to see an (at home) finish better than what the factory applies. Unless it is PVC.
I am not saying your advice is stupid...just maybe a little on the overboard side with mid-higher end Vinyls.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #14

vinyl flooring hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florcraft View Post
Almost. there are urethane and PVC finished floors. PVC is not good for preventing stains.
I'm aware that the higher end vinyl floors have a urethane wear layer over them but I don't know how effective that urethane is against blocking stains.

I renovated 21 bathrooms, and when I was ordering the sheet vinyl for the floors, I really paid no attention to the cost since I was only ordering 5 foot lengths of the stuff so the total cost was generally pretty small regardless of what I ordered. What mattered was how well the vinyl flooring would go with the tub and wall tile colours, not whether it cost me $60 or $120. So, I've not kept a record of what suites have better vinyl in them and which suites have cheap vinyl. I presume some of them are expensive and some of them are cheap.

But, I now have acrylic sealer on ALL of my bathroom floors, so I would dispute your contention that the acrylic sealer won't stick to a urethane wear layer. If I have a urethane wear layer somewhere in the bunch, then Buckeye First Down acrylic sealer is sticking to it.

I fully realize that there are different kinds of urethane coatings, but I can't speak to the issue of how stain resistant the urethane wear layer on vinyl floors is. I use an alkyd based polyurethane paint on all my kitchen cupboards and cabinets, and that kind of polyurethane IS susceptible to staining. The printing ink on plastic bags will stain it if you leave the two in contact for too long. When tenants vacate, I often find stains on that polyurethane paint which I can often get out with bleach, but often have to paint over to fix.

Quote:
Yes you can suppliment with another sealer but you will need to take off the already good factory finish for it to adhere. Just like replacing the finish on the wood floor. I have yet to see an (at home) finish better than what the factory applies. Unless it is PVC.
I am not saying your advice is stupid...just maybe a little on the overboard side with mid-higher end Vinyls.
As I say, if I have a urethane wear layer in any of my bathrooms, there's acrylic sealer sticking tenaciously to it.

So, I can't say whether acrylic sealer or the urethane wear layer block stains better, but I can say that:

1. Buckeye First Down Acrylic Sealer (meant for VC tile floors) sticks tenaciously to all of my sheet vinyls.

2. Since I've started using an acrylic sealer on my vinyl floors, I no longer have stains on them, and

3. Since I can strip the acrylic sealer off my bathroom floors by using a floor stripping chemical, I believe that if I ever did get a stain into the sealer, I could remove that stain by stripping the sealer off and applying new sealer.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #15

vinyl flooring hints

Whatever works for you.
However on this site I keep to manufacturer warrantied advice.
No biggie..

just me-