Vinyl Flooring Against Baseboard? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl flooring against baseboard?

Vinyl flooring going in on concrete floor.

I removed the baseboard and the drywall does not meet the floor, by varying distances.

I can’t use 1/8” spacers to position the floor planks because the planks slide under the drywall.

So I want to put the baseboard back in (I have it all numbered) so that it just about touches the concrete, then install the flooring up against the baseboard using the 1/8” spacers, and then put in ¼ round over the floor. Will that work?

Thanks,

Peter

Advertisement

JetJaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Why not install the flooring and then install the baseboard over it? Saves you the money of not needing quarter round, and it will look better (IMO).

Advertisement

pkrapp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pkrapp74 For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #3

because the planks slide under the drywall and I cannot properly space them from the edge.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

I would do exactly what pkrapp suggested unless I am missing something.

I would lay the planks just so they partially go under the drywall that way you will have at least 1/8 of an inch for the desired gap and the the ends will be hidden by the drywall and the baseboard. And no unsightly quarter round.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

I cannot control the required 1/8" gap between the planks and the wall if I do what you guys suggest. Also, to install this stuff (have either of you done it?), you need a straight smooth wall to push against, which is also not possible with a drywall overhang. Thats why I want to put down the baseboard first, so there will be something to line up and straighten the planks against.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJaguar View Post
Also, to install this stuff (have either of you done it?), you need a straight smooth wall to push against, which is also not possible with a drywall overhang.
Can you be more specific as to what kind of flooring you are installing, like a brand name or a link to a website?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #7

Allure Locking http://www.homedepot.ca/product/lock...c-maple/918276
Old 07-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Have a quick look at this video. Installing this is just like laminate flooring. The gap is suggested for expansion and contraction. The guy in the video doesn't bother.

So personally I wouldn't worry about controlling the 1/8 gap along your starter wall. Chances are the wall isn't straight to begin with. So it would be 1/8 in one area and 1/4 in another, and perhaps 0 in another.

I would lay out a good portion of the first row along your starter wall. Because the floor is floating you can move it around a bit to get it in the exact spot you want it to be. I would put the edge of this flooring just under the edge of the drywall. That will give you at least the 1/8 gap you want. Now if you want to ensure your gap is exactly 1/8, put some painters tape on the flooring and shove the flooring all the way tight against the wall under the drywall. Mark that with a pencil mark. Measure 1/8" back toward the wall, place another mark on the painters tape. Line that up with the drywall edge and your gap will be 1/8 of an inch.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Quote:

So I want to put the baseboard back in (I have it all numbered) so that it just about touches the concrete, then install the flooring up against the baseboard... and then put in ¼ round over the floor. Will that work?
that should work well.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post

Have a quick look at this video. Installing this is just like laminate flooring. The gap is suggested for expansion and contraction. The guy in the video doesn't bother.

So personally I wouldn't worry about controlling the 1/8 gap along your starter wall. Chances are the wall isn't straight to begin with. So it would be 1/8 in one area and 1/4 in another, and perhaps 0 in another.

I would lay out a good portion of the first row along your starter wall. Because the floor is floating you can move it around a bit to get it in the exact spot you want it to be. I would put the edge of this flooring just under the edge of the drywall. That will give you at least the 1/8 gap you want. Now if you want to ensure your gap is exactly 1/8, put some painters tape on the flooring and shove the flooring all the way tight against the wall under the drywall. Mark that with a pencil mark. Measure 1/8" back toward the wall, place another mark on the painters tape. Line that up with the drywall edge and your gap will be 1/8 of an inch.
This video is not about Allure Locking. (I am able to look up videos too, actually).
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Newbie Bill

Just trying to help Peter.

Hopefully someone will stop in and tell you what you want to hear.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Just trying to help Peter.

Hopefully someone will stop in and tell you what you want to hear.
..or read my posts carefully.

No just kidding. Couldn't resist. Thanks anyway. Another thing I can do, suggested in another thread, is tape the first few planks together. The basic issue is right now I can't get them all to stay connected. Insert one, a previous one comes out. Turns out its a common problem. I either need some kind of wall that meets the floor (base board) so I can have something to push against, or try taping the first few planks together. Once I reach critical mass, I shouldn't need to tape anymore.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

You're using 7.5mil flooring, which is just under 3/8". How thick is your baseboard? If it is at least 1/2", then temporarily stand some scrap pieces of your flooring vertically against the wall. This will give you a good 1/4" spacing, and will allow the gap to be covered by your baseboard.

Or do what you were originally planning to do. It will work just fine. I just try not to add quarter round unless I have to.
pkrapp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Newbie Bill

Quote:
..or read my posts carefully.

No just kidding. Couldn't resist. Thanks anyway. Another thing I can do, suggested in another thread, is tape the first few planks together. The basic issue is right now I can't get them all to stay connected. Insert one, a previous one comes out. Turns out its a common problem. I either need some kind of wall that meets the floor (base board) so I can have something to push against, or try taping the first few planks together. Once I reach critical mass, I shouldn't need to tape anymore.

Finally, the true problem has come to the surface. I've seen tape used as you described or the method pkrapp suggested.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrapp74 View Post
You're using 7.5mil flooring, which is just under 3/8". How thick is your baseboard? If it is at least 1/2", then temporarily stand some scrap pieces of your flooring vertically against the wall. This will give you a good 1/4" spacing, and will allow the gap to be covered by your baseboard.

Or do what you were originally planning to do. It will work just fine. I just try not to add quarter round unless I have to.
Very interesting, dare I say ingenious? But the product might be to floppy to be used that way.

My wife just sent me a good video on an identical product. Cue it up to 4:24 and you'll see the technique for locking it in. Especially at 4:26, where he lifts the outer edge to make the inner edge snap into the groove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcOLs...feature=relmfu

Advertisement