Very Bumpy Concrete Floor That Is Not Level - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Very bumpy concrete floor that is not level

I have read through all the posts asking for advise on leveling floors/building subfloors/laying tile/etc on uneven floors. I really can't find anything that helps me with my specific problem.
I have a detached garage/workshop that I want to make a family room out of. The room is approx 15' x 25' and has a horrible concrete slab underneath it (25' length goes east and west). The floor slopes from the northeast corner to the southwest corner with approx a 5" drop. I realize this was probably done for drainage for this workshop, but I would like to carpet/tile/whatever the floors to make the room family friendly and warm in the winter. The concrete is also horribly bumpy (high and low spots - to create an uneven slope to the southwest). I live in a very dry area in Colorado and really do not need to worry too much about moisture. Most garages in my area are setup without a concrete foundation.
Options:
1-Pour a ton of self leveling concrete (in sections)to raise up the soutwest corner of the garage floor, even with the northeast corner of the floor.
2-Calculate the amount of cement needed and buy (appx 1+ yards) concrete and attempt to level all at once.
3-Build a wooden subfloor on top of the sloped/warped concrete to attempt to level the surface.
4-Separate the room and make two levels (est and west half), due to the huge slope/drop in concrete. Using self leveling concrete to make minimal adjustments...
5-Demo garage and build a new one over a new concrete slab (not cost effective)
6-Any other suggestion????

My main goal is to spend as little as I can so I can make a room that we can hang out in for movies, games, etc.
PLEASE HELP!!
Your ideas could save me hundred or even thousands of dollars!!!!!

Thanks!

Advertisement

cgcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Very bumpy concrete floor that is not level

OK OK OK, you could use regular low cost cement to raise and fill the low side to a point that it could be capped with a minimum of Self Levelling Compound.

Once the repairs are in range, SLC could be flooded over the entire area to creat a nice new seamless flat floor surface you could do anything you want to with.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote