Vertical tile on wall
As a DIY'er, I've tiled several floors. However, I am now getting ready to tackle something that I haven't done before....vertical tile as a backsplash around a garden tub. I've already layed the tile around the tub. Before I get started with the vertical wall tile, I have several questions...
I am using 6.5 x 6.5 porcelain tile with 1/8" grout lines. I am going two rows high and then a 3 x 12 bullnose. The substrate is green board
1. Should I have a space where the vertical tile makes contact with horizontal tile? If so, how much space?
2. I have two corners where vertical tile will meet. Should there also be a space left there?
3. Should I use a special thinset (fast setting)? I used Mapei Type 1 Tile
adhesive on the horizontal tile. (note: I liked working with this adhesive, but it DID NOT set up very quickly....about 36 hours)
4. Should I butter the back of each tile or should I try to spread a bed on the wall?
Any other general tips or recommendations on tiling on the wall?
I find most tiles installed to walls are indeed vertical. :whistling2:
1. Yes, 1/8" is fine. Caulk it.
2. Yes, 1/8" is fine. Caulk it.
3. Mastic on this wall will be good enough cuz it's not a wet wall installation. What is the substrate of the deck? Thin set mortar would have been a much better choice for the deck. If the mastic gets wet it'll re emulsify like when it was in the can.
4. Spread with proper notched trowel on the wall is best. You can butter the backs, but shouldn't have to. Check for adhesive transfer after you set a few.
Was there a shower installation involved in this project?
Thanks for the info. I should have done a little more research on the mastic, but you live and you learn! It should be ok, an splash here and there shouldn't hurt the mastic.
No, there isn't a shower stall in this project.....maybe as a phase 2.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.