Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |
Vapor barrier & insulation for basement floor

We are remodeling our basement. Built in 1959, poured walls & floor, 7' ceiling. I'm trying to minimize the floor thickness.
Basement if very dry. We had a sump pit but with no pump in it and it was always dry. I filled it in and cemented over the top.

I duct taped a few squares of plastic wrap to the floor to see if we got any condensation and did not.

We have radiant floor heat in the rest of the house and I would like to install it in the basement floor.
So here is my thought at this time. I wondering if anybody has any experience with this and has comments as to the pro's & con's.

1st lay down Delta FL as a vapor barrier with an air space.
2nd lay down 5/4 thick by 6" sleeper boards screwed to concrete
3rd lay down 1/2" thick foam insulation between the sleeper boards.
4th lay down 1/2" PEX radiant heat tubing with aluminum panels on top of insulation.
5th lay down 3/4" sub floor and screw to sleepers

We'll install carpet in some areas and some type of hard flooring in others. Likely linolium or laminate.

Thank you.
Dave

dvsanfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

All bad ideas.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #3

article in fine homebuilding awhile back said skip the vapor barrier, and skip the sleepers. 2" XPS foam taped and blowfoamed on the floor and walls will let moisture through to dry without causing mold problems. Author laid crisscrossing sheets of subflooring and drilled right thru th foam into the slab. But that all assumes that sump pit is not needed for the once-in-15 year storm. Do you know why it was there in the first place?
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
All bad ideas.
Rusty,
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you have a lot of experience.
Do you have any suggestions as to the correct way to go about this?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveel View Post
article in fine homebuilding awhile back said skip the vapor barrier, and skip the sleepers. 2" XPS foam taped and blowfoamed on the floor and walls will let moisture through to dry without causing mold problems. Author laid crisscrossing sheets of subflooring and drilled right thru th foam into the slab. But that all assumes that sump pit is not needed for the once-in-15 year storm. Do you know why it was there in the first place?
Steve, thank you for the advice.
To answer your questions from what I can tell from asking around the sump pit was installed as a standard practice. We purchased from the original owner 9 years ago and they never had a sump in the pit. Since we've owned the house there have been rains that were much heavier than normal and we've had no water in the basement when others have had water problems.
I'm going to try to find the article you mentioned. I don't understand how the XPS is blowfoamed on the floor.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #6

I found a site that may be interesting to you and supports the idea I presented above.
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1

Scroll to the bottom of the page, but the whole page seems to be sound information.

Tags
delta fl, floor, insulate basement, vapor barrier