Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
PGP

Share |

Vapor Barrier Installed over Concrete???

I live in Southern California and am installing an engineered wood plank floor over an existing concrete floor. I was told that I need to install a vapor barrier, which I purchased (thick plastic sheeting). Question: once I clean up the concrete, do you merely glue the plastic sheeting to the concrete with the same glue used to attach the wood flooring? Once the glued plastic sheeting dries sufficiently, do you merely trowel out the same glue on top of the plastic sheeting to attach the wood flooring? Any ideas? Anyone? Buehler?

Thanks!

PGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #2

Not an expert, but I thought you tape the vapor barrier down (edges)onto the concrete floor and then you can float the planks on top of the vapor barrier.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Not an expert, but I thought you tape the vapor barrier down (edges)onto the concrete floor and then you can float the planks on top of the vapor barrier.
He is actaully referring to engineered hardwood, not the 'floating' laminate....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi,

There is alot of information about this. For one, you should definitely NOT use a poly vapor barrier if trying to install wih glue directly over concrete. There is also alot of information regarding proper floor preparation if planning to 'glue down' the engineered flooring. If glueing, the floor must be COMPLETELY FLAT, or you will have issues with the flooring separating in various areas. You could apply the glue evenly, which, if done right, can act as a vapor barrier itself. I would not suggest painting the concrete, as that would cause issues with the glue being able to adhere properly.
It's been recommended in the industry that an experienced person do the 'glue type' of installation because of the high rate of error when using the process.
(You could install a subfloor system using sleepers and plywood)

Since there is alot of information about this, I am including some links for you to read over:

http://www.floorboards.com/engineered-wood-floors.asp

http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/all-about-wood-floors-over-subfloors.asp

http://www.builddirect.com/bdu/bdu_hardwood_1_d.aspx

http://www.fastfloors.com/articles/Wood_Flooring_Installation_Methods.asp

Other posters may have more to offer....

Regards,

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-17-2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #5

Sounds scary to use glue. Imagine if you are fat and happy laying down the wood with glue, and then come to find out that your starter board was not complete square. Will be ugly....
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
PGP

This is not a huge floor (it is roughly 4' x 5'). After removing the carpeting, it appears the slab is fairly smooth and level. Also the room is relatively square, with no tricky obstacles or angles. I appreciate all the replies thus far. Thank you!

PGP is offline   Reply With Quote