Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

Vapor Barrier Advice

I recently purchased a 2000sf one-story home that was built around 1900. I'm wanting to put down wood flooring in the whole house except for the kitchen and bathrooms, which have ceramic already. I have removed layer after layer of flooring (carpet, pad, multiple layers of linoleum, newspaper, nailed down paneling, felt....in differing configurations in each room) and am now down to the original tongue and groove flooring which is attached directly to the floor joists (no subfloor used originally). I do have several areas in which will need repair, but the floor joists are in really good shape. The distance between the floor joists and the dirt crawlspace varies from 3'-5'. I did find what appeared to be some mold between the multiple layers of linoleum as well as between some of the multiple layers of felt.

I'm planning on putting down a layer of 30# felt directly to the existing tongue and groove, then screwing down 1/2" CD Exterior Grade Plywood, and finishing it out with a tongue and groove 1" X 6" #2 pine flooring that is produced by a local mill, which will be sanded and finished.

Does it appear that I am putting the vapor barrier in the proper location? Do I need to install anything between the plywood and finished flooring to cut down on creaking? Was the mold I was seeing during demo most likely due to the fact that there were multiple layers of vapor barrier trapping moisture? Lots of work going on, just trying to get it right the first time, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

J Hall is offline   Reply With Quote