Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

Share |

Using Stain Block In Grout?

I picked up a 25# bag of sanded grout at HD yesterday, the man suggested i also get this 32oz. bottle of Grout Stain Block that mixes right in with the grout along with water. i am grouting 12"x12" tile with 1/4" grout lines. he said if i added it to the grout it would be sealed for ever.
what is this product? has anyone used it? Is this something i should use? Could i use this & still seal by hand? I hope someone with experience can help.

jpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

I've used Tec Grout Boost before. These things are all pretty similar. It's basically a liquid latex polymer that makes the grout more stain resistant, not stain proof. Epoxy or Urethane grout will work much better for this application. The problem I have Home Depot / Lowes is that they sell one of these items as a generic additive for all grouts. They are not. The TEC product works well in TEC grout because the grout has very little dry polymer already in it. If you put it in a Laticrete or Mapei grout which has more dry polymer to begin with, then you end up with a sticky mess that is hard to smooth out and work with. I'd say make sure to get the additive that is meant for the grout you are using. If you want true stain resistance go with a different grout to begin with.

jpaz (11-23-2011), oh'mike (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

makes me wonder if i should even use the additive in the grout. also thinking i might not even need it being that the grout color is sable brown, which is the darkest brown i could find, dont think much could stain it.
jpaz is offline   Reply With Quote