Using Silicone Instead Of Quickset? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using Silicone instead of quickset?

I bought an older school bus that has been converted to an RV. In the bathroom is an old shower insert (cheap plastic) that is not secured to the walls very well and is cracking and breaking due to age and use. I would like to remove the insert and tile the shower area. I was thinking of using silicone instead of thin set to hold the tiles down because then as the bus flexes and moves down the road, the cement wont crack and leak.

Does this sound feasible? I know that on the flat surfaces, i can put wonder board down and adhere tile using regular thinset, but i am concerned with the corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Using Silicone instead of quickset?-a4.jpg  

Advertisement

erniepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd install concrete board, then put a liquid waterproofing membrane up like Laticrete Hydroban. Two coats of that will five the surface some flexibility. Then install the tile with a high quality modified thinset. I'd use Mapei Kerabond with Keralastic additive. The liquid additive will give better flexibility than the premodified versions. Also use a flexible grout like Quartzlock and use a bead of silicone or NP1 in the corners instead of grout.

Advertisement

poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poppameth For This Useful Post:
littlecleo (01-14-2011), oh'mike (01-14-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Go to a well stocked swimming pool store and they should have tile adhesive that comes in a caulk tube. I don't know if it is silicone or not but it is tuff stuff I have used it on pool tile and it has held for years. I also think the bus will flex enough to give you problems if you "properly" install the tile like it's a home. On second thaught why dont you use an preformed acrilic base and finish the walls with FRP backed by plywood of some sort.
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Have you ever asked yourself why ceramic tile is not used more in fancy motor homes? I have made a lot of money repairing ceramic tile floors and backsplashes in motor homes but have never seen it used in a shower.

Why not simply buy a shower made for campers and motor homes and stop kidding yourself? It would be cheaper also.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

What does this have to do with "flooring"?

MODERATORS ???