Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
mkk

Share |

Using a self leveling compound over radiant floors laden with "uneven" sleeper boards

My husband and I have a dilemna in the great room of our log cabin that we are building ourselves. We have in-floor radiant heating. The radiant heating tubes were laid in between sleeper boards and covered with a cement mix. We are ready to lay the engineeered hardwood flooring but are faced with a very uneven floor; the sleeper boards are 'higher' than the cement, in "a lot" of places. We are thinking of applying a self-leveling compound over the top. Is this the best solution? We would sincerely appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone may have before we begin. Our great room/dining room/kitchen is about 900 sq. ft. Thanks!

Last edited by mkk; 11-04-2011 at 01:57 PM.
mkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #2

Using a self leveling compound over radiant floors laden with "uneven" sleeper boards

I'm not a flooring expert by any means. I suspect that the sleepers are there as nailing support for an anticipated underlay below your finished flooring selection. You didn't indicate what the spacing of the sleepers is which would make further comment more useful. I wouldn't bother adding cementitious material if the tops of the sleepers are level one to the next and your underlay can span the distance. Might want to pay some attention to nail length of the engineered hardwood if its to be nailed down so that a "miss" doesn't puncture the encased tubing.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote