DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

using leveler over sticky film

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  poppameth 
#1 ·
I am taking up a self adhesive tile floor that was put over linoleum. The floor is sticky from the adhesive but there is not anything to scrape up...just sticky film. We plan on putting down laminate floor and need to use a leveling compound in some areas of the floor. QUESTION; can we put the leveler over the sticky film? If not how do we get the sticky film to NOT BE STICKY!?

#5 ·
clarification

The floor is in the kitchen/dining room. The house is a slab and there was linoleum on the floor; we put the self stick vinyl tile over the linoleum. We are taking up the tile and the linoleum is tacky when the tile is taken up. We want to avoid taking up the linoleum if at all possible!! We are going to put a pad and a laminate floor but there are a few areas that need to be leveled first. The guys at the hardware store told be to use goo gone and then make sure I mop it prior to using the leveling compound where needed. HELP!

#6 ·
Goo Gone is not a good idea. You generally never use a chemical to remove residue when you are planning to adhere something else over it. The chemical can cause bonding issues with the new product. If you've already done it, scrub the floor down thoroughly with TSP. Like I said before, every leveler I've seen says you can go over a sticky residue so long as it isn't on the surface on the slab, but in the slab. If there is anything left on the surface it has to be razored off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.