Unfinished Oak Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Unfinished Oak Floors

New here and getting started on a recently purchased 1961 house.

I've pulled up all of the old carpet and pad throughout the house, about 1900 sq ft, to reveal the original hardwood floors. The floors in the bedrooms were finished at some point in the past but appear to have been covered with carpet for a long time, as they appear to be relatively free of any defects [except of course the holes from the staples removed]. In the formal living room and dining room, however, the oak floors were never finished. I don't notice any un-level boards but they do retain their coarse texture.

At this time, I'm not wanting to pour a huge amount of money into the floors, as there are some other updates/repairs that I would like to make. For the living room and dining room, my question is, could I stain them or put a finish on them and have them look reasonably good without going through the sanding process? If so, are there particular things to be aware of? My main reason for wanting to avoid doing this at the time, in addition to the cost and time, is that my wife is pregnant and we don't want to deal with the mess of all the particles in the air. If I can get away without sanding and truly finishing at this point, is there any coating that would keep the boards from being a "problem" (i.e. dangerous) to our new daughter when she starts crawling around in several months.

As an aside, for the bedrooms, which have the finished floors, is there a good cleaner I should use on them just as general upkeep in transitioning them for use. Since I'm not refinishing them, I'm not filling the staple holes, but we will use area rugs.

Thanks for any guidance in advance.

Advertisement

starting_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Unfinished Oak Floors

Sand them down, and either stain & then poly, or just poly.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 608

Unfinished Oak Floors

I see your getting the same advice as the other DIY sites you posted your question on.
Hire a pro to do these for you and they can be in and out in 3, days. The machines there going to be using leave very little dust and can do it far faster and better then a diy.
Not doing it is going to end up costing you more time and money if you do it your suggested way.
Try Liquid Gold on the other floors.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Retired Cabinetmaker

Rewards Points: 156

Unfinished Oak Floors

I've been in construction for a very long time and do know there is no short cut to this. Sanding floors is not for the faint at heart and is major hard work.
Bit the bullet, send the Mrs to a relative and have it done professionally.
1900 sq ft should take three days and another three days to dry.