Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

unexpected floor project

we are having to pull up an existing floor of ceramic tiles in our small (12 x 8 foot) dining room. we were planning on eventually reflooring this room... but just not this soon. right now, it is the same color tile as our adjoining kitchen, but there's a small wooded step which divides the two rooms.

we are debating what type of flooring to put in there: tile, hardwood, or laminate. i like how tile looks, but the floor in there gets very cold during the winter (and we are NOT putting in a new subfloor). also, if we do tile in there, i'd want to buy tile for the kitchen right away, too, even though that project is WAY in the future. if we do hardwood, it will not match the rest of our house (most of which is a color of hardwood we just won't find anywhere else). and i don't know much about laminate, except that it is easier to install than tile...

does anyone have any strong opinions about any of these materials for a dining room floor? i know that of the three, tile is probably the most expensive and time-consuming. i've never laid hardwood, but because the room is basically a big rectangle, i can't imagine it will be that difficult... any advice from someone who's done a similar project? also... i've heard many people rail on big box home stores (a la home depot) -- and that's fine, i'm not married to them, but what other places should i be looking for economical flooring options? (i'm northeastern illinois.)

Last edited by downers; 04-02-2008 at 11:08 AM.
downers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

unexpected floor project

I have a similar situation that I plan to tackle in the future. We have mostly hardwoods in the house, but some linoleum and carpet. The plan is to have new hardwoods put in to replace them both, and then sand the existing hardwoods before staining the entire floor.

As for my opinion on which way to go, I like the tile or hardwood much more than the laminate, but if you are looking for a cheaper route, laminate is probably your best bet.

Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote