Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Share |

Uneven vinyl subfloor?

Hi,

I've been trying to find the answer to my question and have seen other threads started by people with similar issues, but haven't found something that addresses my exact issue, so I hope someone can help.

Our house has tons of old vinyl on the floors. It looks like the previous owner would just stick tiles on top of tiles. We want to install a floating engineered wood floor, but we don't want to take up the vinyl because we're pretty sure there is asbestos linoleum underneath, on the bottom layer. The floor is very uneven, especially in the kitchen where the tiles were put in after the cabinets, which means that there is a gap of about an inch and a half from where the cabinets used to be and rest of the kitchen.

My question is, what are our options? The filler products say only use for 1/2 inch or less variations. We've heard mixed opinions on whether a self leveler will work. Getting someone in to do asbestos remediation for that whole area is completely out of our budget. I've seen people refer to just pouring new concrete over existing flooring, but i dont know if that is a good idea, either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mar880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #2

Uneven vinyl subfloor?

Why not have a sample tested instead of just guessing?
What's it laid over? If it 1/4 louon it could be removed in sheets so you do not have to bust up the tiles.

Mar880 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

Uneven vinyl subfloor?

We had a piece from one of the bedrooms tested and it had asbestos in it, which is why I'm pretty sure there is asbestos tile in the kitchen under all of the vinyl.

House is on a concrete slab. We're in South Carolina.

Thank you!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Uneven vinyl subfloor?

Sometimes biting the bullet and waiting till the funds are there to do the job right in the first place is the right thing to do. Building layer upon layer of product is a recipe for disaster. Maybe holding off till next year, removing the asbestos from your home and having level floors is a better option than instant gratification and tossing down yet another product to give you pretty floor. I am an advocate for doing it right the first time, which is something that seems to be lacking from the previous owners, leaving you with a mess. Hope you get a nice new level floor with no asbestos and a true increase in value of your home.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Uneven vinyl subfloor?

Thanks for the replies so far. So is there no option to level the floors without taking up the tile? We can't wait a year to put in flooring as we have no kitchen at the moment and have the cabinets in the bedrooms waiting until we get the floor fixed. Plus we want to move in! Will self leveling underlayment not work? The directions say it can go over vinyl. I just wanted to get some feedback from someone who has encountered this before or who knows what will actually work.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Uneven vinyl subfloor?

not only have I encountered this before but.... oh well, never mind. Good luck with your project, hope it all works out in the end for you.

cheers

fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardwood, level, subfloor, surface prep