Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

Uneven sub-floor issue in basement - SOLUTIONS?

Hi there:

My wife and I have a back entry area in our basement. It is 24' by 10' and we are planning on putting down a vinyl floor and using at a mud room/storage space.

In the past someone had vinyl down and most of it has come up and there is a little more that needs to be taken up. Under that are square tiles, i think, that appear to be acting as a subfloor. I do not know what is under neath these tiles, though I would imagine that it is poured cement.

I would just put the vinyl over the top of this tile except for one problem, near the entry door, the floor is raised about 1/3" -1/2". A picture of the tile and the raise area are attached.

So the question is this - what are my options?

On one hand I wonder if I can just put down and underlayer that would bring everything up to the same level as the raised area and then put vinyl over that.

On the other hand, i think I could pull up the tiles and lay the vinyl down right on the concrete floor. However, this doesnt mean that I the cement base its also raised in that area. So i might have the same unevenness problem anyway. Also, I have a feeling ripping out that other tiles will be quite time consuming.

I think i would prefer to vinyl over the top of tiles it it is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Uneven sub-floor issue in basement - SOLUTIONS?-one-basement.jpg  

swanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
options, sub floor repair, vinyl flooring