Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Share |

uneven garage slab-on-grade

Hi,

I am turning my old single garage into a leisure room.

The concrete slab-on-grade is broken in a few places and clearly up to 2 inches in height deviation between various parts of the 10' x 14' slab.

I would like to turn the garage into a small meeting room, and know how to deal with the roof, ceiling, and walls.

The overall height from current floor (largest even area) is 89 inches.

Any help on the floor would be great, including how to finish it knowing heat could be installed via electric heater, or is in-floor possible?

thanks

wwsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #2

Jack hammer it out and pour a new slab.

In-slab heat could then be added.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Tileguy

Are the walls built on separate footings or are they built directly on the slab?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #4

Check with local B.D. as they may have requirements for this. May need a window for light and ventilation, stem concrete wall for siding replacing vehicle door clearance for spash, etc.:
Garage conversions
• Parking: To convert your garage to living space, you may need to show how you will provide a
required onsite parking space. Parking in your driveway alone may not meet this requirement.
• Setback: If you want to convert a detached garage to living space, the zoning code allows conversion of some existing garages within the side or rear setbacks with limits on size and height. Check with Planning and Zoning before conversion.
• Firewall: If the exterior wall is less than three feet to a property line, a fi re wall without openings will be required. http://www.portlandonline.com/shared...e.cfm?id=93019
This will give you a paper trail for your H.O. Insurance and code built so you don’t need to rip it out when selling.

Gary