Uneven Floors?! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Uneven Floors?!

Im new to all of this so bare with me if Im in the wrong place Anyways... I am looking at a older house (built 1976) in real estate. It has a very good price on it but needs some work. Mostly cosmetic things like paint and new flooring. I noticed that one of the bedroom floors are sagging but the wood doesnt appear to be rotten or anything. I also saw that the sunroom is actually an addition that was built around a small concrete porch (all the floors are already bare) Where the addition meets the exsisting floor it meets level in the middle and about an inch lower on each side. Can anyone tell me how hard its going to be to replace the saggy bedroom floor and level out the sunroom? Would it even be worth trying to fix? I just dont want to get myself into a disaster!

Advertisement

ashlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

Uneven Floors?!

Could be most anything from undersized joist, to long a span, insect infestation, fungus weaking the joist, cracked joist, sinking piers.
Going to need a trained eye to figure out what needs to be done.

As far as the slab, once again it could be it sunk (very common when the wrong fill or not compacted enough) or as simple as it was not pored flat enough.
That could be fixed with some floor leveler or if it sinking by having mud jacking done.

Asking any questions about what things cost is not going to end well on this site, no one has seen the property, nows your local labor rates, material cost, has even seen the job.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

Uneven Floors?!

Thank You! I am going to send someone out to look at it before I make my decision. I don't mind spending money to fix it since they arent asking alot but I dont really want to sink money into something that isnt fixable. Although I really like the place
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,290

Uneven Floors?!

In a house built in 1976, also have them check for lead paint and/or asbestos. Both possible.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

Uneven Floors?!

I will definatly do that! Im glad you pointed it out because I hadnt thought about it! I do know most of the house has new drywall. Someone started remodeling and lost it in foreclosure. That is scary though. I also have small children.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,290

Uneven Floors?!

The danger of both is overblown, but easier to be careful if you know where it is.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Uneven Floors?!

I dont know anything about either really. I just hear its dangerous. After you brought it up I did pull up the property data on it. In 2011 it did have asbestos tiles listed. I dont think that is right now. Kitchen and 1 bathroom is completely remodeled and the 2nd bathroom is bare. Its one of the rooms they started and didnt finish. So I may survive if I do buy it. Ha ha!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Uneven Floors?!

Get someone with a lot of experience work on homes to go with you and inspect the place---

This shouldn't cost much and will save you a lot in the end----

That house id from a time period when many new building product were being tried for the first time----roof and floor trusses---drywall and subfloor glue and many other things---

Some of the first generation products had problems---poor designs---tradesmen not installing properly---so be on the lookout for such things in homes of that vintage.

Advertisement