Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #1

Share |

Uneven Durock board

Jumped into putting Durock into the kitchen (its being re-done and so is currently empty, so it seemed like a good time to put some down, since we were planning on putting tile in there at some point). Ripped up the particle board subfloor, and the plywood underneath seemed pretty level, put down some thinset with the specified trowel type, but some of the seams between the slabs of Durock are not level with one another. The actual lip between the one sheet and the other is probably no more than 1/16th of an inch or so, but holding a level at the very edge of one of the sheet and measuring the gap 22" away, it leaves a pretty big gap (1/2" or so). if I place the level so half is on one sheet and half is on the other, the sheets themselves are pretty level with each other, except for the ~~1/16th" lip between the seams. I have not taped/mortared over the seams yet, if that makes any difference.

Is this something I need to worry about? One further complication - I didn't know it at the time, but after reading about this stuff, I know now that I installed it upside down.

I took a couple of pictures of what i'm trying to describe:

Here's a picture of the level edge put on the edge of one of the sheets, and the gap it forms over the adjacent sheet:

Link

Here's a picture of the level over both of the sheets, no real gap to speak of on either side, just a little "bump" in the edge of the sheet to the left:

Link

Is this a problem I caused by installing them incorrectly (upside down, or possibly caused by some other thing I did wrong?) Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by gnubie; 10-04-2010 at 03:22 AM.
gnubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
DIY staff

Uneven Durock board

First--upside down will not make a bit of difference--so you are fine there.

I could not see any nails or screws in the picture---(old eyes?) Should be nailed or screwed every 6 to 8 inches---The thinset under is to fill gaps,not hold it to the floor---

Dips and rolls will give you lippage--(tile edges sticking up above the next tile)

I suggest that you get a 6 foot straight edge and look for any low spots more than 1/8"

Use 'Feather finish" for smaller low spots----Major lows may require self leveling compound---

I like 'Jiffset"--That is a local brand,use what you have available----thin layers--work fast

It is not self leveling--quite a learning curve---keep the layers thin while you learn the product.--Mike--

Look in the DIY blogs-(tool bar,near the top of the page)-I think the is a blog by Bud Cline in preparing a floor for tile.

Last edited by oh'mike; 10-04-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Can't type
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #3

Uneven Durock board

Yep, I do have it screwed down, though not quite so much as every 8".. At this point if I put a couple extra screws in there, will it damage the board? The thinset is quite hard by now..

I'll pick up a long straight edge as you suggest and try to fill in gaps - is it OK to sand down high points on Durock? Or will that just destroy the Durock?

Thanks again for your help!
gnubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
DIY staff

Uneven Durock board

I never tried sanding durrock---I doubt that sanding will hurt. The durrock is there to provide an ideal bonding surface and does not add to the strength of the floor system.

Won't hurt to add fasteners at this point.

A plywood rip will make a good one time use straight edge---Good luck--If you use self leveling compound--read the directions--work fast--it is a difficult product--a little at a time,till you figure out the product.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote