Uneven Concrete - To Be Laminate Floored - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Uneven concrete - To Be Laminate Floored

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help in the past. I've done one of the bedrooms using 8mm laminate, and I'm very pleased with the result. So I decided to do another bedroom.

As I removed the carpet yesterday, I discovered that there's an uneven patch, about 90cm x 45cm in corner, and the difference is about 2cm between the high and low spots.

The carpet installer used two layers of underlay around the problem area to sort of compensate/smooth out the unevenness. Fortunately for him that was an easy workaround, but unfortunately for me laminate flooring doesn't have that kind of tolerance.

I'm not sure how to remedy the situation. Do I use some kind of filler to make a slope to smooth out the high spot? Or should I sand away the high spots (if at all possible)? I'm thinking about chisel and hammer, is that the way to go? Or is this a job for the professionals?

The picture shows how bad it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Uneven concrete - To Be Laminate Floored-concretefloor.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by peter1; 04-06-2007 at 05:03 AM.
peter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
newer than a newbie...

Rewards Points: 83

Peter:

I'm starting a project in an upper bedroom on a floor board (my first laminate flooring project). However, since your room appears to be concrete, I've read in many places that it is recommended to install a subfloor first. This would allow you to put sleepers (2x3's i believe) every few feet and lay an OSB board on top to make it a level surface.

The areas that are off by several centimetres/inches can be levelled using shims.

I have to work on my basement in time, and this is the method I plan on using. However, others might have better suggestions...

Good luck

Advertisement

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #3

Quote:
since your room appears to be concrete, I've read in many places that it is recommended to install a subfloor first
Interesting, I was under the impression that laminate flooring has no problem going on top on concrete, as long as a mositure barrier is used. This was how I did the other bedroom.

Some "how-to" suggest to use a straight edge to check for levelness and mark the high/low spots, and then simply sand the high spots/fill the low spots.

It's easy to say sand the high spots, this is concrete I talking about. What a show stopper.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
newer than a newbie...

Rewards Points: 83

I am in Canada and since it can get cold here in the winter, they say that the subfloor can make a difference in keep the floor temperature a bit warmer.

For that reason, I have not considered installing straight on the concrete. So, it may work fine for you...maybe it is fine for me as well, but I never thought it would be okay!
mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

FWIW- Have you checked out Dricore flooring?

http://www.dricore.com/en/eIndex.aspx

It is designed to be used with the manufacturer's 'shims' for uneven flooring....
I actually prefer to use this on basements.

Also: With your uneven concrete floor - You could try to 'chip' it away on the 'high areas'. Cold chisel, etc..... Then mix up some floor leveler and spread it out appropriately over the 'alterated area' to get a smooth/even surface.

(FWIW - I don't consider myself a 'concrete floor expert', I'm just offering my 2 cents)
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #6

[QUOTEYou could try to 'chip' it away on the 'high areas'. Cold chisel, etc[/QUOTE]

I just came back from the hardware store and cold chisel was what they recommended as well. I just tried and the concrete chipped off easier than my first attemp yesterday, I think the chisel I used yesterday was meant for wood

Now, some serious work ahead.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #7

This is too hard! It's not only concrete, there're also rocks in the mix. It's extremely difficult to progress when the chisel meets the rocks.

Since the problem area is at the corner of the room where most likely a night stand will situate, I am very temped to pull the double underlay trick to bridge the high/low spots. After all the rest of the room is in sound condition.

Actually, I will probably use self-leveling compound to smooth it out. Since it's "self-leveling", I hope it's not going to run everywhere (I haven't use it before).
Old 04-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Self leveling can be hard to work with and it may turn out to be a bit of a mess.
But what the heck...give it a try.

Depending on the size you could be incorporating quite a bit of water on the floor.
It may be best to let it dry a bit before throwing the lam down.
like a week....
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, that stuff (Floor leveler) really puts out the moisture and water as it cures and dries....
Old 04-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #10

Is it necessary to prime the concrete floor before pouring the self-leveling stuff? I don't really want to complicate the process unnecessarily.

Advertisement