Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Uneven\Buldging Cement Basement Floor

Hello, I'm new to this site and hope all my DIY questions can be direct to the right place. I currently only a house that has been in my family since it was built. It was built sometime time around 1920s, it is a brick bungalow located in chicago illinois. I have MANY problems but I'm going to start with the basement and work my way up. In my basement i have a lot of cracks in my cement floor, and what also appears to be 3-4 large budgles like something is coming out from underneath it. I'm wondering what should be done in evening my floor out or if these budlges need there own seperate repairs, my foundation appears to be fine, there are some cracks running from the floor to the brick, there is some cracks into the bricks going diagnolly but not through the bricks just the motar, maybe this is causing the problems with my cement floor, hell I don't know, if needed I can take some digital pictures for a better idea of whats going on... but below I'll recap on my basement floor problem...

1. Cracks in the cement on the basement floor..
2. 3-4 large buldges in different locations of the basement..
3. 1 or 2 spots where there is small holes where i can see dirt?! no larger than 2-3 inches big.

Please forgive my bad spelling.

SSandecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #2

Could the rising floor be secondary to large tree roots pushing it up??? (Like you see on sidewalks) Are these areas new? Maybe one of the previous owners can help you get an idea of how long or how much change there has been and over what period of time? Could it be that the grade wasn't level prior to the concrete being poured?

If it were me (I'm not a contractor) and there were several places where the dirt below was already exposed through cracked/broken concrete, I think I'd try to chip out a small area (12"x12" or so, as far from a wall as possible )where dirt is already exposed, and investigate a foot or so down? Maybe someone with more expertise will help out?

pranderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #3

Like I said my family owned this house since it was built, and they are deased and thats why I now own the house, there is a tree right in front of my house aswell and I was thinking the same thing. There also was a tree in my backyard that about 15 years ago had to be removed due to it dying and damage some concert, i was young and don't remember what it damaged, but i was thinking the root thing almost on the dot, what would be a way to correct this, break up the concret and cut it out and reconcert the area? one of these is near my foundation way, not to close, but it is kinda to close for comfort, what do you suggest?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #4

Again I'm not a contractor, but I would think that the block wall sits on some sort of concrete footer. Couldn't you tear and clear out the floor. Then figure out: a) if there is a concrete footer and b) an estimate of how deep it is. If it's at least 12 inches or so, I'd think you could drill into the footings every 18 inches or so (at a 45 degree angle) insert and epoxy some rebar into the holes. Then tie or weld those inserts into a new grid of rebar and then just repour the whole thing with 6-8 inches of concrete.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #5

That sounds hard to do for a diy'er, I'll probably have to contact a contractor, but considering this is a city of chicago tree, wouldn't they be responisble for damage to my basement floor
Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #6

I wouldn't even begin to speculate about responsibility. Especially, if the house has been around since the 20's. I think it would be next to impossible prove otherwise.
If it were me, I'd just bite the bullet and fix it or have a reputable contractor do it.