Uneven Basement Flooring Options - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
FF1

Rewards Points: 10

Uneven Basement Flooring Options

Hello All,

After years of a dirty basement carpet, we have finally decided to tear up what we had. Underneath, we found the typical basement concrete that I would consider to be severely uneven all around. There are still sections covered by an ancient flexible type tile. It seems that when they tore up the old tile prior to carpeting, they left many gouges in the floor.

Along the far wall, there is a large crack running from wall to wall that pushes the concrete up on either side.

I would wonder what our options are as far as flooring goes. We have no interest in re-carpeting the area. We would have hoped to install linoleum or vinyl flooring, but I am now unsure with the large crack and general unevenness. I believe self leveling compound would fix some of it, but I have my doubts when it comes to larger and longer crack.

I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Advertisement

FF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Uneven Basement Flooring Options

OK no-one else has chimed in so I will see what I can do.

Uneven floors are really hard to cover with anything but carpet, I have used a low pile commercial carpet.

If you want lino or tile or laminate you need a reasonably flat floor. There are ways of doing this but they do cost.

Can you tell me how uneven and cracked the floor is? Pictures would be great.

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote