Underlayment Preparation For No-glue Laminate Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

underlayment preparation for no-glue laminate flooring

After installing the plywood underlayment over our new sub-floor (yipee it is finished --for those who have helped me at the carpenter section), do I need to fill the seams and cover the ring-shank nail heads before installing the thin foam sheets and laminate floating flooring?

The instructions that came with the laminate is not very detailed, and I can't find anything on the web about it. All it says is to sand high spots and fill low spots--nothing about the nail heads or seams.

Would it be better to fill seams and go over the nail heads?? If so with what product--one that will be flexible for expansion & contraction?

We bought it at Menard's and it is from Pelican Home Creations (Canada) and the manufacturer is hard to reach.

Advertisement

WheelerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

You shouldn't have very big gaps and I'd assume all your nail heads are flush with the top of the plywood.

As long as you dont have huge gaps (>1/2") and your nail head are all flush (driven all the way into the plywood) you are ready to rock.

Roll out your Foam underlayment tape your seams and start layin and lockin.

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

brockmiera--thanks for info. Yes the nails will be driven flush or barely sunk (just came back from Menard's with the 23/32" plywood and ring shank nails, 1&1/4" length--they sure look wimpy though! The 1 & 1/2" were too long.

THE instructions that came with the laminate flooring about the foam said: NOT to tape the seams--only if installing over concrete. Go figure!!
WheelerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerGirl View Post
brockmiera--thanks for info. Yes the nails will be driven flush or barely sunk (just came back from Menard's with the 23/32" plywood and ring shank nails, 1&1/4" length--they sure look wimpy though! The 1 & 1/2" were too long.

THE instructions that came with the laminate flooring about the foam said: NOT to tape the seams--only if installing over concrete. Go figure!!
Well if that is what they suggest. I've put laminate floor over concrete and over plywood subfloor and I've taped my seams in each application. If my floor is going to float is sure dont want those strips of underlayment separating at the seams.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brockmiera For This Useful Post:
WheelerGirl (07-25-2013)