DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Underlayment for Laminate Flooring

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  nyseguy 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I had a bit of water damage to my kitchen floor.

The silver lining is that it provided a catalyst for me to finally do something about the linoleum.

I've ripped out the linoleum floor and the destroyed luan. I am now down to the bare subfloor. It seems ok, but the slow leak behind the fridge fostered some mold growth.

At what point is it advisable to replace sections (the ones that looked like they had the worst of the mold infestations) of the subfloor? The wood seems solid enough, but will it continue to remain solid, as long as it continues to remain dry? or will it still degrade over time and is it better to just replace it since I already have the floor up?

Additionally, once I'm ready to lay down the laminate, should I put luan back down then the laminate underlayment, and then the flooring? I thought about using concrete backer board, like I used when I tiled my bathroom, but I'm not using tile in the kitchen, so I didn't know if it was overkill or even detrimental to have that under a laminate type of floor.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
So your saying it's not necessary to put luan back down, but is it advisable?

Also, since we don't have any interior doors from the kitchen, we won't have to worry about door clearances.

There will be a transition from the kitchen to the dining area with laminate to hardwood, but the plan is to eventually have the rest of the home's flooring replaced (currently carpet) with laminate. So that is the only 'transitions' we will eventually have.

Thanks again for your advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.