Underlayment - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Underlayment

Hello, I have a home that I have been building for quite some time now, and it is finally getting ready for a finished flooring. I have 3/4" T&G for the sub floor that's had a lot of traffic on it over the years. My wife and I have picked out a vinyl flooring, it's shaw's easy style luxury vinyl plank. Each plank is 4mm thick. Would you recommend a 1/4 underlayment or would some self levering compound over the hole sub-floor do the trick? I have managed to get rid of most of the squeaks, but still have some clicking sounds from time to time. These is a fairy large area of about 1300 sq., and id really for prefer to to mess these one up. Any input greatly appreciated, Larry

Advertisement

v6turboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,264

Underlayment

Was the subflooring laid with glue on top of the joist?
Got to try and get rid of any noises before doing anything, add some decking screws, on the top side or blocking from below may fix it.
No way would I be using self leveling compound on a whole house, where not there to see it so no to see just how bad this subfloor is that makes you think you even need it.
To expensive and time consuming.
Only place it would need to be done is if there's any worn areas in a high traffic area.
Any thin flooring like that is going to mirror any flaws in the floor below so an underlayment of 1/4 multi ply subfloor rated plywood will be needed, not louon!
The fastest way to install it is with a pneumatic narrow crown staple gun, that way you do not have to go back and fill all the dimples where the nails are.
It's installed so the seams do not line up with the joist, no glue under it, all seams and any flaws need to be filled.
It needs to be fastened every 4" on the edges and 6 to 8" in the field, making sure it does not get fastened to the joist, no glue under it!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

Underlayment

The T&G was glued down, and I yanked all the squeaks out and refasten the whole subfloor. So I do have a lot of dimples, need I mention It has sufficient ware on it over the last 30 years. Is there a pacific underlayment you recommend? Shaw recommended gluing the underlayment not sure if that necessary. When laying it do I butt each peace, or do I leave a slit gap?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 3,150

Underlayment

Absolutely, do NOT glue the underlayment. You will have more noise and if it ever needs to come up, the subfloor will need to be removed too.
Just make sure that the 1/4" plywood you use is underlayment grade. Luan has voids in the ply that can give and also can stain vinyl. Fill any imperfection with a cement based floor fill. Do not use a gypsum based fill.

Last edited by rusty baker; 01-10-2015 at 10:56 AM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Underlayment

Do you mean fill before I lay the ply? And do I need to butt the edge's or gap them slightly where the sheets connect?
Old 01-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Underlayment

Fill imperfections in the underlayment. You can butt the UL or leave a very small gap. Either way the seam needs to be filled.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #7

Underlayment

One other quick question before I seen you some immense gratitude. What size staple would you recommend?
Old 01-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Underlayment

18 gauge(that's 1/4" crown.) 7/8" length.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Underlayment

Can't thank you enough. I've been worry about this for some time now,and this cleared a lot up for me.

Advertisement