Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Underlayment

As the result of a previous thread I've decided to reconsider the use of luan underlayment under sheet vinyl in my kitchen which has left me with more questions. To those of you involved in the previous thread, thank you for your advice!! Plywood underlayment seems to be the most popular choice. Is plywood more labor intensive than luan, more costly to install? Are there ANY other inexpensive underlayment options? Also, I'm not committed to sheet vinyl but don't want a material that a substance can seep through. I want to do this once and I want it done right but my pocketbook isn't exploding with unlimited funds.

csmallich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

Underlayment

Yes it may cost more but it's the right way to go.
It's installed exactly the same way, same amount time, same tools to install it.
The best, fastest way to fasten it is with a pneumatic narrow crown staple gun.
It needs to be fastened every 4" on the edges, and 6 to 8" in the field.
With a narrow crown gun the holes are so small they do not need to be filled, just the seams.
With underlayment nails you have to go back and fill hundred of dents from the hammer.
With a pneumatic gun I can lay a 4 X 8 by myself in less then 2 min. when it's in Tap and go mode.
It gets fastened between the joist, not to them.
No glue under it!
The seams should not line up with the seams below.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

Underlayment

And the sheet vinyl gets completely glued to the plywood, right?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Underlayment

Some vinyls must be, some can be glued or loose layed.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,348

Underlayment

Personally in a kitchen I'd want it glued down.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
Some vinyls must be, some can be glued or loose layed.
Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong...the purpose in full spread glue is to protect the vinyl if/when appliances are moved. So I would need to choose a tougher/better vinyl if it's going to be loose laid but if I choose a cheaper vinyl more susceptible to tearing it would need to be completely glued? Every vinyl I've looked at so far says either or...some have been thick, some much thinner. How much does square footage play a role in deciding whether it needs full glue? This is so much more complicated than I ever imagined.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #7

Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Personally in a kitchen I'd want it glued down.
That's kinda what I thought. Granted, appliances will rarely be moved but I don't want to constantly be worrying every time I move the kitchen table or microwave cart when I sweep and mop.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Underlayment

The vinyls that can be installed either way(IVC for example) are tougher than the others. I would personally want it glued, but they will be OK loose. If there is a seam, I would definitely want it glued, although I have installed a lot of it loose. The nice thing about those vinyls, they are very easy for a DIY installation, either glued or loose.
You can get by without an underlayment under them also, if you fill all imperfections with a cementious based floor filler when you lay them loose.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
csmallich (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
registered

Rewards Points: 514

Underlayment

I diyed one in my half bath. I forget the name. You had to buy perimeter tape. Not cheap it was like 40 bucks a roll. It was gravy all the way. It was heavy vinyl. I just patched a few spots in plywood i didn't like with some wood putty.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote