Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Share |

Underlay for 3/4 Cumaru hardwood flooring

Hi all,

I suspect strongly this has been asked previous, but i searched 500 threads to no avail.

I am installing 3/4" Cumaru in my 1 level rancher/bungalow.
The house has a 4' crawlspace with concrete floors and walls, and insulation on walls.
The crawlspace is heated by the forced air furnace which also heats the home.
The joists are not insulated.
3/4 plywood over joists.
I live in Vancouver,BC and get lots of rain.
The flooring has been acclimatizing at my house for over 4 months (closed boxes).

I will rent a moisture meter to measure subfloor and cumaru.

Any ideas on other precautions i should take to mitigate moisture related issues?
Any comments on underlay?
I intially was thinking 15# felt, but should i consider a vapour barrier considering the crawlspace?

Paul

Paul8434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #2

With a heated crawl space you should not need to put a vapor barrier under the floor. !5# felt should be a good barrier. South American woods such as Brizilian Teak (Cumaru) will react differently in the northern hemisphere. You may find they will shrink more in the witer months. It would be best to install when heat is on. The wood at this time will have the least amount of moisture in it. Make sure you leave as large expantion gap as your base will allow. It would be best to remove the base. Replace after wood install and then add 1/4 round if you budget will allow it.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you can afford it, I would put down cork underlay. It will add both a degree of thermal and sound insulation. You can get it in different thicknesses.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
With a heated crawl space you should not need to put a vapor barrier under the floor. !5# felt should be a good barrier. South American woods such as Brizilian Teak (Cumaru) will react differently in the northern hemisphere. You may find they will shrink more in the witer months. It would be best to install when heat is on. The wood at this time will have the least amount of moisture in it. Make sure you leave as large expantion gap as your base will allow. It would be best to remove the base. Replace after wood install and then add 1/4 round if you budget will allow it.

Hi Woodman thanks for the advice,

I am trying to plan carefully for the expected shrinkage and expansion.
I am planning to start laying the flooring now, while the forced air furnance is running.

I will purchase a hygrometer to measure humidity as well as use the moisture meter.

In addition i think i will cut back the drywall where the floor will meet, to give some extra expansion room.

With the expansion issues covered, any thoughts on how to deal with shrinkage issues?

Paul
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
If you can afford it, I would put down cork underlay. It will add both a degree of thermal and sound insulation. You can get it in different thicknesses.
Thanks Sdester,

Although i havent priced the cork, i am definately interested.

Some questions that come to mind are:

Sound Insulation
Any thoughts on wether the sound insulation is for the person walking on the floor or the individual in the floor below. In my case i have a bungalow and only have crawlspace below me.

Paul
Old 10-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You will find that the cork will dampen the sound in the room it is in as well as underneath which is not an issue for you. It is especially nice as it will, if you get it thick enough, provide more of a cushion between the subfloor and finish floor than other materials and will hold up better. It is also well suited naturally to humidity changes.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Rolls of cork underlayment are priced pretty well from my distributor. We priced it out on a commercial job recently at 0.25 sf for the 1/8 variety. It's more than roofing felt but less than a good wood/laminate pad.