Type Of Tile For Bathroom - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Type of Tile for Bathroom

I am remodeling my bathroom, and I want to tile the floor as well as the tub surround.

I would like to know what type of tile to use on the floor and the tub surround. Ceramic or porcelain?

I have some picked out at Lowes, but they have a texture to them, so would water get into the texture on the shower walls?

Here is the one I have picked out for the floor, then there are smaller matching tiles for the tub surround.

Would this work, or should I have something smooth for the bathroom?

Also, do I seal the floor and the tub surround, and if so, what do I use and how?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Vikeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikeologist View Post
I am remodeling my bathroom, and I want to tile the floor as well as the tub surround.

I would like to know what type of tile to use on the floor and the tub surround. Ceramic or porcelain?

I have some picked out at Lowes, but they have a texture to them, so would water get into the texture on the shower walls?

Here is the one I have picked out for the floor, then there are smaller matching tiles for the tub surround.

Would this work, or should I have something smooth for the bathroom?

Also, do I seal the floor and the tub surround, and if so, what do I use and how?

Thanks!
I'd avoid anything with a deep texture, especially in the bathroom, and ESPECIALLY on the surround. I like the way they look, but like my wife says "too difficult to clean". We compromised on something with some surface features, but no grooves.

You need to seal the grout on all tile. Avoid the water-based sealers.

Advertisement

garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #3

so what type of tile do you recommend for a bathroom? ceramic, and smooth, for both the floor and tub surround?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #4

I would go with a semi-smooth tile of some sort on both (a "stone look" tile, looks classy). I think the really glossy smooth stuff looks cheap, and I'd only use that in a shower surround. I'll see if I can find the link to what I used in my bathroom. I used Interceramic, style Ardesia, color Royal Red in my living room and I would use that in a bathroom too if I was starting over (maybe in a different color like Ankara Beige). It's really nice. Most tile dealers carry it. I like Interceramice products. Good quality but not expensive. We get a lot of compliments on our floor. We layed it ourselves.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #5

We used the Interceramic Cotto Firenze on the bathroom floor and a hallway, but I like the Ardesia better.

http://interceramic.com/us/detalle.a...IF=1&TIPO_PROD=

http://interceramic.com/us/detalle.a...IF=1&TIPO_PROD=
Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #6

what kind of grout sealer do you use? Lowes has something called 'Grout Boost', you add it to the grout instead of water, and it says you never have to seal the tile again.

Also, would you tile the tub surround all the way to the ceiling, or only about 6 feet up, then dry wall the rest of the way up to the ceiling? which would look nicer?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikeologist View Post
what kind of grout sealer do you use? Lowes has something called 'Grout Boost', you add it to the grout instead of water, and it says you never have to seal the tile again.

Also, would you tile the tub surround all the way to the ceiling, or only about 6 feet up, then dry wall the rest of the way up to the ceiling? which would look nicer?
Never heard of Grout Boost. Honestly, sealing is pretty easy compared to laying the tile.

You know, a lot of builders don't seal the tile and then the homeowner wonders why their grout looks like crap after a while.

IMO, I would go all the way to the ceiling if it's a shower/tub and only an 8ft ceiling (or just tile to 7ft or 8ft if you have a higher ceiling). Otherwise if it's just a tub I would go up maybe 5 or 6 ft. I think going all the way up for just a tub would look silly. Your paint for the bathroom should be glossy so it can take an occassional splash of water if you get crazy in the tub.

One thing that I found helpful is to look in some of the tile how-to books in Lowes or Homers, to get ideas.

Advertisement