Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Type of Carpet Padding for concrete floor

We are currently considering 2 types of foam pad; a densified urethane and a Rebond. We've visited multiple stores and keep getting conflicting opinions about them. Some say that urethane's retain water, are noisy, and become compressed over time. Others list advantages as mold resistance, higher R values, and its more cushoney. What would you use on concrete floors

I'm not too woried about the basement has been "dry" for the last 3 years (we live on a large sandy mountain). I do not want to add a subfloor and would like to lay the pad on the concrete.

Thanks

ppeetteerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

Type of Carpet Padding for concrete floor

Urethane pad has never been a great option. Rebond will last longer and will not compress like urethane. Rebond is normally cheaper too. Check and see what density and thickness pad, the carpet is supposed to have. It can make a lot of difference on carpet wear. Pad is available in thicknesses from 1/4" to 9/16" and densities from 4 lb. to 10 lb. Berbers normally need a thinner, denser pad than plush types.
Either type will work on concrete. If you do get moisture, in my experience, the rebond is less likely to have mold growth because water vapor can escape through it.

Last edited by rusty baker; 03-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (03-21-2014)