DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Flooring (
-   -   Which type of adhesive or thinset should I be using? (

yummy mummy 12-31-2008 10:56 PM

Which type of adhesive or thinset should I be using?
I would like to know which type of thinset I should be using for setting ceramic tiles to my basement floor which is cement.

Is there a particular brand that would be better than another?


Just Bill 01-01-2009 05:29 PM

Since movement of the slab and the floor will not be the same, I would use modified thinset.

angus242 01-01-2009 05:51 PM

There is not one brand that is vastly superior to another. Most brands offer multiple types. A modified thinset will work for you but don't purchase the cheapest offering. Usually there's a mid-priced version which will be better than the cheapest one. I choose to use Mapei products. In their case, they offer Ultraflex I & Ultraflex II (and even a III). I'd recommend Ultraflex II. I know you've mention Home Depot before...they carry Custom Products. I'd suggest FlexBond over VersaBond.

Good luck

yummy mummy 01-02-2009 10:45 AM

Thanks angus, for the great information.

I will purchase the better product as I want those tiles to stick.

I will look at tile stores for the adhesives as opposed to HD.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1