Trying To Install Floating Floorboards... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trying to install floating floorboards...

New user here, hello all.

For some background information. I've never install floors before (but I've done lots of research) and i'm doing it for one of my room which is currently carpeted. It is around 100sqr ft and i bought the floating floorboards already. it is this: http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...90&storeId=172 Now i know below the carpet in my room is just concrete, which is why i'm using floating floorboards. First thing is that the floorboards i have has an underlayment glued to it already (it's like blue cushy feel), does that mean i can just put that on the bare concrete floor or do i still need some sort of plastic underlayment? A bigger problem is that this room is actually on ground level and the rest of the house is actually raised up about 3/4 a foot to 2 feet. This means that on two of the walls in this room you can see the concrete foundation sticking out. Right now it is covered in carpet because that was a way to solve the problem of having an ugly gray concrete sticking out in the room. Here's a picture:

I have pictures of wires and stuff so you can see how big it is. Now I do not believe i can remove the carpet that goes up the concrete foundation because it's glued on and i do not know if it's a strip or it's actually an extension of the carpet on the floor. Either way the only solution i have now is to leave the carpet(on the concrete siding) and just have the floor board butt up against it. I'm wondering if there are other creative solutions for this.
Thanks for replying.

Advertisement

Hyperian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I can answer your first question. You must put a moisture barrier of minimum 6mill poly. under the laminate.

Just because there is carpet glued on, it doesn't mean it won't come off. I really am not getting the scenario though, even with the pic, so I am no use to you on that one, sorry.

Advertisement

HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #3

Oh i'm sure with some extreme force i can tear it off, but it would take a lot of time and the concrete itself is not completely flat and i remember the edge on the top is really worn out.... I'm saying that the concrete itself is very ugly looking. can you elaborate what you mean when you said 6mm poly underlayment?

Last edited by Hyperian; 06-21-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

What does the manufacturer say? Why don't you just follow their recommendations?

Or, ask Lumber Liquidators. Now there's a name you can trust!!!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #5

Ok i looked at the instructions that comes with the floor board, it says to use a .2mm thick polyethylene plastic as moisture barrier. The underlayment that i have right now is something from bbafiberweb. I dont know what fiberweb is.