Trying To Install Ceramic Tile On Unlevel Floor In 1890's Era House - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Trying to install ceramic tile on unlevel floor in 1890's era house

Here's what I've run into:

Approx: 10 x 14 room.

Pulled up nasty old carpet & pad. Pulled up old tile and found 1/4" plywood subfloor over wood planking (planking is approx 5-1/2" wide, 3/4" thick of varying lengths). There are varying dips, valleys, humps, etc... Mostly due to the fact the room is half over the basement and half over a crawl space. The highest part of the room is right over the basement foundation wall where it then transistions over the crawl space. For a 100+ year old house it's not too bad, but not good enough for ceramic tile. The worst is probably 2-1/2" from the highest to lowest point, generally slopes from east to west.

My Plan: (looking for suggestions, ideas, advice, etc...) Due to cost saving, limited budget, & desire to do it myself (with help of course); this will be a strictly DIY project.

1) I am planning to rip up the 1/4 plywood due to some damage, and get down to the planks. That way I can repair some that are loose, etc...
2) Put down new plywood over the planks. I was thinking of cutting and using different thicknesses to try to even out some of the floor. Not sure if this is a good idea or not.
3) Then put down some Hardibacker cement board. Using a thin layer of thinset and securing with cement board screws.
4) Use a latex primer & finally a self leveling compound. Hopefully this will give me a floor level enough to install the ceramic tile. (it's a 13x13" tile)

Advertisement

Kichigaidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

I'd say you have it all figured out!! Thumbs up!

Tia

Advertisement

flooringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flooringgirl For This Useful Post:
Kichigaidave (06-10-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

My one worry is I don't think I can use different size plywood, because then I'd have to put the cement board directly over them. Basically matching seams etc... I think that they're supposed to be staggered. Seams and over lapping with the layers to strengthen and have less movement. It would be easier to use the self leveler and then put on the cement board, but I don't think you can do that. I don't think the self leveler compound takes nails, staples, or screws well. Hmmm...
Kichigaidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichigaidave View Post
My one worry is I don't think I can use different size plywood, because then I'd have to put the cement board directly over them. Basically matching seams etc... I think that they're supposed to be staggered. Seams and over lapping with the layers to strengthen and have less movement. It would be easier to use the self leveler and then put on the cement board, but I don't think you can do that. I don't think the self leveler compound takes nails, staples, or screws well. Hmmm...
Correct ... do what you need to do to make it all as even as possible and then use the self-leveler! Be sure to both mortar and screw the cement board, and there is no need for primer. Just make sure you have a total of 1-1/4" subfloor for the tile.

Tia
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

The only part I like is # 1, removing the 1/4" ply. You have to remove it regardless of its condition.

#2 is a very bad plan as you've realized.

SLC to level from zero to over 2" is very costly and hard to do. You're better off hiring someone to do a 'mud job' for you. But remember that may not be possible to do depending on the layout of the room and where the doors are is relation to the levels of the room. The mud needs to be at least 3/4" thick where to old floor is the highest.

You may not to be able get this floor level without carpentry work. However, a tiled floor does not have to be level, it should be flat though. Talking about carpentry, have you determined that the joists system is stiff enough for tiles in the first place?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Kichigaidave (06-10-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #6

Hi Jaz!

What is the difference between level and flat? I'm thinking if he can use underlayments to bring things close, only a small amount of leveling should be required. Maybe a 1/4" or less, which could be accomplished with a Webcrete product. Thoughts?

Tia
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Tileguy

Level = a horizontal surface that is in plane to its self in all directions.

Flat = a surface that in plane.

A floor might be flat, and so can your wall or therefore any surface that is between 0 & 90 degrees.

As you can see, level and flat are very different.

Dave stated he has a rise of over 2". How would you make that flat without creating a step at some of the doorways? That's why I mentioned it may not be doable.

Where do you get 1/4" out of level idea? Also, which SLC are you thinking that doesn't require a primer?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Level = a horizontal surface that is in plane to its self in all directions.

Flat = a surface that in plane.

A floor might be flat, and so can your wall or therefore any surface that is between 0 & 90 degrees.

As you can see, level and flat are very different.

Dave stated he has a rise of over 2". How would you make that flat without creating a step at some of the doorways? That's why I mentioned it may not be doable.

Where do you get 1/4" out of level idea? Also, which SLC are you thinking that doesn't require a primer?

Jaz
Of course there will be variations at the doorways. I am saying that if he is able to bring his subfloors & underlayments close to level/flat, he can use a product which will easily smooth the slight variations on the surface. Actually, the way you explained it, level is plane and flat is plane. Always learning here, not seeing the difference?

If there is a big variation in the initial floor, it can be solved by mudding the low spots, underlaying, then skim-coating as necessary. I get the 1/4" out of level idea because after the appropriate underlay, there should only be that or much less.

Tia
Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Tileguy

Please xplain to us how you can make an out of level floor close to level using plywood?

Who's not seeing the difference between level and flat?

So you're saying you might "mud" the low spots then install a CBU over it? You're kiddin' right?

Jaz

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Please xplain to us how you can make an out of level floor close to level using plywood?

Who's not seeing the difference between level and flat?

So you're saying you might "mud" the low spots then install a CBU over it? You're kiddin' right?

Jaz
Yeah, kidding. Read my post to you on the other thread and realize that I know you have a burr for me. I'll put up verification of anything out of my mouth or fingers if needed, would never lead a customer or DIY person wrong. We've used levelers for up to 4" in commercial jobs, so yes, it is possible.

Tia
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #11
Tileguy

Wrong Tia,

The problem is when someone comes to these forums claiming to have experience and knowledge with no introduction or ways for the people to check their background and gives advise that is not in keeping with industry standards or norms.

It is the duty of the other pros to challenge those that offer DIY's bad info. Heck if they want bad info, they can just go to their local big box store and get plenty of that. Actually, bad info from the big box stores is why they're here in the first place.

Jaz

Advertisement

Tags
ceramic , leveler , slc , tile , unlevel