Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |

Trying to install bamboo 5/8, backer board under my linoleum?!?

I purchased 5/8" thick bamboo to replace the carpet in my dining room and linoleum in my kitchen, open floorplan 2001 built bilevel.

I pulled out the dishwasher to do some measuring and to my surprise, they used a backerboard on the kitchen floor but 2" into the dishwasher opening there is no linoleum OR backerboard, just plywood. Due to the backerboard under the linoleum, from the viynl floor the height to the bottom of the countertop is 34.25" instead of the expected 34.5" :/

Do I need to remove the backerboard and viynl floor then put down my bamboo? Why did this do this, to raise the floor level of the thin viynl since it connects to carpet?

This could be good news considering I'm worried about the clearance on the fridge hinges to the above cabinets once the bamboo's down.

ls3c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

Tear out the vinyl and underlayment. The underlay should be used under sheet vinyl to provide a smooth and uncontaminated surface to adhere new vinyl to. Tear it out and start laying your bamboo.

plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy View Post
Tear out the vinyl and underlayment. The underlay should be used under sheet vinyl to provide a smooth and uncontaminated surface to adhere new vinyl to. Tear it out and start laying your bamboo.
I've never done this before, so in my ignorance I just expected to cut the viynl up and put the bamboo over whatever was under it... how tough is it going to be to remove the backer/underlayment? Is there a reason they didn't take into account the counter height with the underlayment installed? Is there a reason why no linoleum or underlayment was used under the dishwasher... with 5/8 bamboo directly above the plywood with no backer it's only going to be ~34" so maybe the dishwasher won't fit if I do?

I'm somewhat panicing because i'm doing the floor and having the countertops replaced with granite the soon as i'm done, i'm starting to feel like I opened up a huge can of worms and should have just left it :/

Seems like if they intended to use viynl/underlayment they would have put the base cabinets atop it also... I dunno
Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

It's not unusual for the underlayment and vinyl to be installed after the cabinets. Many builders do it that way. Taking up the underlayment is easier if it isn't under the cabinets, anyway.

Last edited by rusty baker; 11-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #5

Well another thing, it appears that it *IS* under one 12x25 cabinet between the fridge and stove i'm going to have to remove, guess that's why it's magically 1/4" higher than all the others :/
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #6

Hopefully your underlayment is Luan. Luan is made with Mahogany wood and is fairly easy to cut with a good sharp knife around your cabinet. It shouldn't be too hard to tear up either.
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

You can take a sharp utility knife and score the underlyment into smaller pieces. Then stick a pry bar under the edge. It should come right up. Or you can set a circular saw to 3/8 and cut it into smaller pieces and then use the pry bar. Be careful. It would be easy to get cut either way.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #8

ah ok, makes sense... i'll be using a flooring nailer and 1.5" cleats to secure the floor, most instructions i've found on the net call for top-nailed securing in the beginning and ending rows... won't this be noticable or can I do this near the edge where shoe molding will hide it?