Trowel Size For Mosaic Basketweave - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Trowel Size for Mosaic Basketweave

I am trying to confirm a recommended trowel size for setting a mosaic basketweave tile. It is white carrera marble (rectangular about 1 3/4 inches long and 3/8" thick) with black granite cubes. It is put together on a 12"x12" mesh. I am assuming a V-notch trowel...maybe 1/4x3/16? Any help is appreciated!

Advertisement

SMLWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

The x3/16 should work well. Another that I recommend; 3/16" square, but might be harder to find. Generally "V" is used for mastic, but I've used it for thinset many times. Even a 1/4x1/4x1/4 at a low angle, but you'd have to be very careful not to slide the tiles or leave any small gobs. I have the luxury of having old/worn trowels to select from.

Remember that the consistency of the thinset and the angle you hold the trowel will vary the amount left on the surface.

I assume this is a floor. What are you going over and which specific thinset are you using?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 11-30-2014 at 04:43 PM.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #3

Yes, it is a floor and I am going over SLC. I was planning to just use the Ditraset I have for the other room, since it is unmodified and white.

If I use the 1/4 x 3/16 should I try to make it a healthy layer? I assume that side with a V groove is on the low side of how much thinset you need.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

If by healthy layer you mean not pressing down on the trowel much, forget it. Do you have any other trowels? Probably nothing that is just a bit bigger. Go ahead and try it and set one sheet, be sure to beat it in with a grout float. Then carefully remove it and check for coverage. 85% or more is ok.

I've been known to make the "V's" a bit larger using a side grinder.

Definitely don't apply too much, cuz it'll ooze up into the joists and make a mess.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

By "healthy layer" I was referring more to the angle of the trowel. I have little experience relatively but I do know that leaving a thick layer with a soft touch doesn't turn out well! Is there any utility is trying to back butter the sheets? I do that when I lay larger tiles but have never use the mesh before so have no idea if it would even be possible.

I will make sure I get good coverage with the first sheet....those little black granite pieces are only cubes so I can imagine they could easily not get fixed well.

Let me check what other trowels I have....I have several but some of them are cheap and don't have the size written on it so we will be relying on my measurements, or at least comparisons to known sizes.