Trouble Installing Floating Laminate Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Trouble Installing Floating Laminate Floor

I知 installing the Nirvana Plus laminate floating wood flooring from Lumber Liquidators in my basement.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...FaVQOgoddAoAyQ

I already installed the vapor barrier and just started laying down the laminate boards along the long wall, which is 12 feet long. I think I知 doing everything right (leaving an expansion gap, using no glue/nails, doing whole rows at once, etc.), but I知 hitting a problem after about the 5th row of boards where the last row already installed seems to curve out in the middle. So when I try to install the 6th row, I can never get both ends to connect at the same time. I tried uninstalling the 5th row and using different boards, but then I hit the same problem when I get back to the 6th row. I then tried a lot of different configurations and managed to get the 6th row down, but then I hit the same problem when I get to the 7th. So there痴 something fundamentally wrong here, but I have no clue what it is. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Advertisement

jmai14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai14 View Post
I知 installing the Nirvana Plus laminate floating wood flooring from Lumber Liquidators in my basement.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...FaVQOgoddAoAyQ

I already installed the vapor barrier and just started laying down the laminate boards along the long wall, which is 12 feet long. I think I知 doing everything right (leaving an expansion gap, using no glue/nails, doing whole rows at once, etc.), but I知 hitting a problem after about the 5th row of boards where the last row already installed seems to curve out in the middle. So when I try to install the 6th row, I can never get both ends to connect at the same time. I tried uninstalling the 5th row and using different boards, but then I hit the same problem when I get back to the 6th row. I then tried a lot of different configurations and managed to get the 6th row down, but then I hit the same problem when I get to the 7th. So there痴 something fundamentally wrong here, but I have no clue what it is. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

By the time you're at your 6th or 7th row, and you see the curve, is the 1st row also curved? If so, straighten the who mess out.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 900

How far apart are you keeping the joints on consecutive rows? Are these all the same length or do they have varying sizes? Click flooring isn't as forgiving as normal tongue and groove because any gaps will make it hard if not impossible to connect. That being said, because they click together there should be no gaps unless the planks are warped.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,048

Assuming you started off pushing against spacers at the wall try removing the spacers near the center of the wall in an effort to reduce/eliminate the convex curve. Sounds as if you starting wall is bowed slightly. This problem isn't unusual.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

@Seattle2k - I'm not sure about the 1st row, will have to go back and check when I get back from work. But when you say straighten everything out, how? It's not like I've been leaving gaps along the way, so what should I do to fix it?

@mikegp - The flooring is tongue & groove, not click. That link may not be the exact flooring I have, I was just going by the brand on the flooring boxes. I've been using the leftover from a row to start the next row, making sure that leftover is staggered from the previous row by at least 12".

@Bud Cline - I actually already removed the spacers in the center of the wall because the board was not pressing up against them anyways. I assuming that was because the wall was slightly curved, but now I'm gonna go back and check the 1st row.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 900

Oh, so you are just experiencing gaps when you "can't get both ends to go in at the same time", but you can get them to mostly fit together? How big of a gap are we talking about? Some people will just caulk small gaps with colored caulk and let it be. A pic might help.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

@mikegp - When I've been able to get a row down, it looks perfect with no gaps at all. But the problem I'm hitting around the 6th or 7th row is preventing me from getting the row down at all. When I said I "can't get both ends to go in at the same time", I meant that if I focus on the left side of the row, the right side is completely popped out, then vice versa if I focus on the right. It's not a minor gap that can be filled with caulk, the tongue is completely out of the groove.

I'm at work right now but might be able to post a photo when I get home.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,668

Is the floor flat? If not, this can cause a bow.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

Yea, the floor should be flat. But would that cause a bow in the direction I'm referring to? The part curving out is along the width of the laminate boards, not the height.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai14 View Post
Yea, the floor should be flat. But would that cause a bow in the direction I'm referring to? The part curving out is along the width of the laminate boards, not the height.
If the subfloor is not "plane" (flat) it certainly can cause gains and losses in the distance the flooring must travel.

First get a helper and a string-line and check the beginning wall to see if it is straight.

Second get a helper and check the floor for "plane" (flatness) using the string line if you don't have a long straightedge.

Also take a close look at all of the (existing) seams to be sure something foreign hasn't found its way between the flooring slats.

If all of the above appears proper then use an accurate measuring device and start measuring the slats first one end of one slat and then the other end of the same slat. Be sure the measurements are absolutely identical. It wouldn't be unheard of for a milling machine to be out of tolerance and found to be cutting slats wider at one end than at the other.

If a slat is cut out-of-true even 1/32" (per slat), then six rows would throw you off by 3/16 of an inch.

There has to be an explanation.

I'm betting your long wall isn't as straight as you think it is.

Advertisement

Tags
floating floor , flooring , laminate , warp