Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

trimming installed laminate

I need to remove 6" strip of laminate flooring.
I figure I set the circular saw to the right depth and follow a line.
I think I will have a bit that I can't reach, what's the best way to finish the cut? drill a bunch of holes and chisel it off?

DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #2

When I cut 1X6 fir subfloor, I use a laminate trimmer. I nail a board to the floor the right distance away from the cut line, and just keep lowering the 1/4 inch straight bit with every pass to make the cut deeper and deeper. (And, the microadjustment screw on my laminate trimmer allows me to set my cut depth accurately. I know it doesn't matter if you shave 1/16 of an inch off your underlayment with a circular saw, but with my laminate trimmer I can reasonably accurately set the depth to within 1/8 of 1/20 of an inch cuz the microadjust features a 1/4 X 20 tpi screw.)

Then you can use your chisel on the 1/8 inch radius in the corner.

Why not invest $100 in a laminate trimmer and a 1/4 inch straight bit? You'll find that you'll be using it for other projects too, like removing wood from doors and door frames so that door hinges will fit flush, and the like.

A laminate trimmer is so much more versatile than a full blown router because you can hold it in one hand. You can do darn near anything with a laminate trimmer that a router can do except make hardwood moldings. Anyone who buys a full blown router who doesn't intend to be shaping hardwoods with it is wasting his money. A laminate trimmer like the Porter Cable 7301 would be a smarter use of that money.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 11-22-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #3

drill your holes, sharp chisel, you're good to go, if you have any depth for room, break a hacksaw blade in half and work it in, after the saw goes through, you're not going to need much more to take off, or go buy some more power tools, never a bad thing
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #4

What do you think of the idea of just buying the blade for a Makita 4 1/2 inch circular saw, and using that in your saw (if it uses the same size arbour)?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #5

My circ saw can adjust to 1/4" depth even the lowest marking is 1/2", it does in fact go shallower.
so I don't think that is an issue?
DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #6

No, you misunderstood my point.

If you use a smaller diameter blade on your circular saw, you will have shorter sections to chisel out at the corners.

So, if you use a 7 1/2 inch blade, you'll have approximately 3 1/2 inches to chisel out. If you use a 4 1/2 inch blade, you'll only have two inches or so to chisel out on each side of each corner.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
No, you misunderstood my point.

If you use a smaller diameter blade on your circular saw, you will have shorter sections to chisel out at the corners.

So, if you use a 7 1/2 inch blade, you'll have approximately 3 1/2 inches to chisel out. If you use a 4 1/2 inch blade, you'll only have two inches or so to chisel out on each side of each corner.
How do you figure? Usually the blade guard hits the wall limiting the distance of cut to the wall. A smaller blade will just be farther away from the wall.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #8

Well, yes, if you're going up to a wall, then the smaller blade would be a bad idea.

I was thinking that the guy didn't want the kerf to be showing on the part of the laminate he didn't want to remove. By using a smaller diameter saw blade, he can cut to the full blade depth closer to the corner where kerfs meet. That would reduce the amount of chiselling he'd have to do.

That's why I asked "What do you think of the idea of..." cuz I wasn't sure if that would be a benefit or not in his situation.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
Tileguy

BUSTED!!!

Cut as close to whatever as you can using whatever appliance you have. When you can' t cut anymore use a straightedge and a utility knife to repeatedly score the remainder of the laminate. Once you have that groove established you can then use a sharp chisel and hammer to gingerly finish the cut and it will look good.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #10

This sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a multi-master.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote