Trimming Existing Carpet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trimming existing carpet

I want to add another layer of drywall to one of the walls in my bedroom. The issue is that the room is carpeted, so I was wondering what this would entail, as I've never actually worked with carpeting before. Would I be able to peel the carpeting back and just trim 5/8" off and move the tack strips the same distance once I add the extra drywall and new baseboard? My gut tells me no, that to do it right I would need to use a carpet stretcher, etc., which makes me a little wary. Could I just do one section at a time? The wall is straight, has one door leading out to a hardwood floor, and one door into the closet, which is carpeted as well. Again, I don't really know how this works, so any advice would be appreciated...

Advertisement

Archigram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

Trimming existing carpet

The carpet would need restretched.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

Trimming existing carpet

? Why the extra layer of sheetrock?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Trimming existing carpet

The extra layer of sheetrock would be for sound attenuation. I am going to replace the crappy hollow door with a nice dense solid one, and see how much that helps. If need be, I'll then think about the extra drywall... I sort of assumed that the carpet would need to be restretched, but was hoping there was a way around that... So be it. Thanks for the info...
Archigram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trimming existing carpet

Restretching one straight edge of carpet should not be a major challenge and unless the carpet is old and subject to tearing is probably a do it yourself project. You will gain a lot of respect for carpet installers kicking just one wall length in place though. You will need to rent the tools. Your other option is to slip an installer doing a job near you a few buck when in the area.

Adding a layer of drywall may not accomplish what you hope I fear and you will be adding unnecessary weight. No big deal so long as wiring is long enough but your switches and outlets will need extender boxes.

You are going to gain the most sound insulation by putting something in the wall. You could rent a machine and blow in some cellulose or fiberglass.

To be honest, I would make or buy some foam (fire rated) sound baffles before layering up with dry wall. You can be clever and work them into the decor with colored fabric or even art or photographs digitally printed on fabric. Google decorative soundproofing for ideas. Here is just one I found quickly:

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/f...ustical-panels

Last edited by user1007; 09-06-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

Trimming existing carpet

I have gone back and repaired many a ripped piece of carpet where a DIYer tried to kick it. Good luck.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet , carpet trimming