Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Share |

Travertine tiles

I bought a new house from a builder and took travertine tiles in kitchen with matt finish. during the construction I was visiting the house and noticed they laid travertine very badly with chipped and broken corner . when I complained about it ,after few days they fill the chipped corners with some kind of filler and installer told me he got all these tiles chipped in shipment . now they are trying to tell me that this is a common practice for travertine tile to sand it and fill it .when I chose these tile, the lady in their design centre said you won't be able to see the grout line because these tiles will be laid down with no gap. these tiles are so beautiful but the tiling company ruined the beauty by their damaged tile installation .I don't know how they will fix it but they are saying they can fix it by filler and honing . I paid about $3200 only for the small kitchen area ,not for the damaged tiles.
please answer is this really a common practice for travertine to fill the broken corner with filler for the brand new house!
I will post the pictures in my next post. I do not know how to put my location .I'm in Orlando ,FL

Last edited by amen; 12-15-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: pictures
amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #2

Travertine tiles

It would not be expectable to me. There going to play the sign the papers and we will fix it later game. If you sign them you can bet there not coming back.
But then I'd never have picked travertine.
To porous, needs to be sealed on a regular basis.
Even then it can be permanently stained from things like vinegar, orange juice, ketchup, anything that's acidic.
Posting a picture so we can see what your seeing would be great.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
bbo

Travertine tiles

travertine is a softer tile that does need to be filled if that is the desired finish. We have travertine in our Kitchen and dining and hallway and love it. That said, it will never be a "perfect" tile in that it will have flaws and develop more flaws as it wears. Thats the charm for me and the scourge for you.
I've done a little fill and repair each year we have had it, but would not have it any other way. My idea of perfection is imperfection.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Travertine tiles

Well, I would not sign off on it. But let's see what some of the tile installers say.
Oh' Mike, Jazman.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

Travertine tiles

I bought a new house from a builder and took travertine tiles in kitchen with matt finish. during the construction I was visiting the house and noticed they laid travertine very badly with chipped and broken corner . when I complained about it ,after few days they fill the chipped corners with some kind of filler and installer told me he got all these tiles chipped in shipment . now they are trying to sell me that this is a common practice for travertine tile to sand it and fill it .when I chose these tile, the lady in their design centre said you won't be able to see the grout line because these tiles will be laid down with no gap.

here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Travertine tiles-photo-2-1.jpg   Travertine tiles-photo-3-1.jpg   Travertine tiles-photo-4.jpg   Travertine tiles-photo-1-1.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Travertine tiles

I would not accept that job because of the lippage alone. There is no way that some tiles should be that much higher than the others. That is a lousy installation job. Not acceptable at all. Do not sign off.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

Travertine tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
I would not accept that job because of the lippage alone. There is no way that some tiles should be that much higher than the others. That is a lousy installation job. Not acceptable at all. Do not sign off.
Now they are trying to take the few tiles off which are really bad and sanding or buffing the adjacent one . I do not know where this thing will go but they are so lazy to do the whole floor and wasting their time from last three days to fix the old lousy floor tiles .
again is this acceptable?and won't create any future problems. I think without damaging the next tiles they can't remove any of it.
advice please

Last edited by amen; 12-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #8

Travertine tiles

Might be just me but I never would have laid a natural stone tile like that with no grout line.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
bbo

Travertine tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Might be just me but I never would have laid a natural stone tile like that with no grout line.
its tough from what I understand as there is not the uniformity like with ceramic and such, but small grout lines are doable. it helps to pick a grout similar in color too.

I know the installer who did ours mentioned how natural stone takes a much longer time. It was nice he was working to please the boss' daughter ( my wife) and not on a deadline

He even made some nice designs for the thresholds for the laundry and main floor powder room.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
bbo

Travertine tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by amen View Post
I bought a new house from a builder and took travertine tiles in kitchen with matt finish. during the construction I was visiting the house and noticed they laid travertine very badly with chipped and broken corner . when I complained about it ,after few days they fill the chipped corners with some kind of filler and installer told me he got all these tiles chipped in shipment . now they are trying to sell me that this is a common practice for travertine tile to sand it and fill it .when I chose these tile, the lady in their design centre said you won't be able to see the grout line because these tiles will be laid down with no gap.

here are some pictures
that is some bad lippage.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

Travertine tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by amen View Post
Now they are trying to take the few tiles off which are really bad and sanding or buffing the adjacent one . I do not know where this thing will go but they are so lazy to do the whole floor and wasting their time from last three days to fix the old lousy floor tiles .
again is this acceptable?and won't create any future problems. I think without damaging the next tiles they can't remove any of it.
They are again calling me on Friday to convince me this is right.
advice please

I would not sign anything until it was installed to my satisfaction,even if it means putting in a different kind of tile.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
DIY staff

Travertine tiles

That is not the finished job ,I hope----all stone needs a gap--and grout---the gap might be small --1/16 or 1/8 inch, but some spacing is needed and the grout to fill in the gap and protect the fragile edge from chipping.

Due to the smallspacing, the floor must be damn near prefect to avoid lippage-( the miss aligned surface)---

If I did that work,I would give you a full refund---it is not acceptable.

To learn the proper methods accepted by our industry,get a copy of the TCNA manual (tile council of North America)
Live_Oak (12-14-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Tileguy

Travertine tiles

As everyone has already mentioned, those chipped tiles should not have been installed in the field of the floor where they're seen. Set them aside for the cuts. Damage in shipping is normal, that's one reason you always have to order extra. It's also possible these tiles are not standard quality stone. They may be commercial grade. The carton/pallet should have markings.

I don't recall reading it, but I guess the substrate is a slab. I read mention of lippage, but I don't recall "amen" complaining about any, where's the lippage? Was it installed direct with thin set or was in set into a thick "mud" followed with thin set? Any precautions for hairline cracks, was any membrane used, any special thin set?

How large is the area? Any expansion joints?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #14

Travertine tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
As everyone has already mentioned, those chipped tiles should not have been installed in the field of the floor where they're seen. Set them aside for the cuts. Damage in shipping is normal, that's one reason you always have to order extra. It's also possible these tiles are not standard quality stone. They may be commercial grade. The carton/pallet should have markings.

I don't recall reading it, but I guess the substrate is a slab. I read mention of lippage, but I don't recall "amen" complaining about any, where's the lippage? Was it installed direct with thin set or was in set into a thick "mud" followed with thin set? Any precautions for hairline cracks, was any membrane used, any special thin set?

How large is the area? Any expansion joints?

Jaz
Thanks Jaz for your reply . yes there were lippage areas but they were saying they will honed it .I am not very much aware of these terms and really don't know what they use thin set or something else but before they laid them down on concrete , there was some kind of black sticky paint on the floor for few days . The area is not very big may be around 150 sq feet or little less because they did not laid down the tiles under the cabinets .which is also very new to me . I just moved from Canada and builders over there are so organized and they deliver perfect work. Here in Orlando this builder has a good name but work is lousy.
yesterday I again visited the construction site the Installer was taking out only two tiles and making so much mess every where .all appliances were covered in dust,they did not even bother to cover them .He was using the blade to cut out 2 tiles which is also in one of the picture .and day before he was working on the same spot to make them levelled and polishing
I did not see the results ,tomorrow they have a meeting with me again to convinced me its right work and they are keep telling this is very normal tear and we always have to fix it after the install.and the site supervisor also told me he is the best installer in the company.though I was really upset but I laugh and said if he is the best then I am also the best tile installer because at least I have sense if tiles are chipped i am not supposed to use them.
I wish I could have choose some other tiles not travertine but its too late!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Travertine tiles

Jaz, the lippage really shows in the pictures.