Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #1

Share |

travertine over gypcrete

hey guys and gals new member so bear with me
I have a 9' by45' closed in front porch that I have had radiant heat installed. After an 1 1/2" of gypcrete is poured over it can I install 18" by 18" travertine tile over it directly
toonafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Tileguy

travertine over gypcrete

No, who the heck recommended Gypcrete for the job? Oh well, you can still install tile but need to use primers and or certain membranes. Didn't you ask about liquid membrane vs. Ditra? You need to keep all Q's about this project in one thread.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #3

travertine over gypcrete

what do you suggest instead of gypcrete it's not a go yet I'm still negotiating
toonafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #4

travertine over gypcrete

I assume the manufacturer of the radiant heating system recommended the gypsum concrete so go with their recommendations. I also assume that these same people have confirmed that your porch CAN accept tiles like this and that all codes are followed, as well as having assessed that your subfloor system (whether wood or concrete) are suitable substrates for their product and can therefore warranty its installation.

That's alot of 'ifs' - but again assuming that has been done and you have the green light, then you're pretty much in their hands. This is not a piecemeal type of installation - everything must be considered - but I can tell you that you'll need a sealer over the gypsum concrete and under the uncoupling membrane but then again, the manufacturer will tell you which one, as well as indicate which thinset, typically modified will be needed as bond coat.

Which heating system are you putting in? did they recommend gypsum because it is lighter? just guessing.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote