Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 16
Share |

Transitioning between two types of tile

Have a large open dining kitchen area and I want to put the tile that looks like wood in the kitchen and then a different tile in the rest of the house.

The 6 x 24 wood tile in the kitchen will be a darker brown like a walnut color and will be laid on a diagonal and then the rest of the home will be a 12 x12 or an 18 x 18 lighter multi color beige tile. The kitchen is approx. 12 x 15.

Is this doable? Or do I have to have the same tile throughout the whole room? If it is doable do you transition between the two tiles is it just a grout line or does there need to be some sort of transition strip?

Thanks

RJ

forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

You can do either. It is somewhat of a free country.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Just lay it out and see what you like.
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Have a large open dining kitchen area and I want to put the tile that looks like wood in the kitchen and then a different tile in the rest of the house.

The 6 x 24 wood tile in the kitchen will be a darker brown like a walnut color and will be laid on a diagonal and then the rest of the home will be a 12 x12 or an 18 x 18 lighter multi color beige tile. The kitchen is approx. 12 x 15.

Is this doable? Or do I have to have the same tile throughout the whole room? If it is doable do you transition between the two tiles is it just a grout line or does there need to be some sort of transition strip?

Thanks

RJ

They sell some interesting decorative border tiles and the like, something like that might look nice across the doorway separating the two other tiles, but it's not required- tile butts up to tile with grout between them, it doesn't matter what color or size the tiles are.

The only concern might be if one room is not integrated with the other room, i.e. like my cross-gable house, one section's joists run one way, the other section runs 90 degrees to those. In a way it's almost like having two houses connected together at a 90 degree angle to each other, and that makes the threshhold between the two sections a bit iffy to lay tile across as there can be some movement.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Wow never even thought about a decorative split between the two with a border accent. That will look much better than just a grout line. Thanks for the suggestion.

We are lucky just a big ole rectangle slab so we don't have to worry about turns etc which is a good thing as I am ocd and would drive everyone nuts trying to tile it.

RJ
Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Wow never even thought about a decorative split between the two with a border accent. That will look much better than just a grout line. Thanks for the suggestion.

We are lucky just a big ole rectangle slab so we don't have to worry about turns etc which is a good thing as I am ocd and would drive everyone nuts trying to tile it.

RJ
I've seen the borders on line and at Menards, it comes in various sizes and loads of styles and colors. It is more expensive than the field tiles, but since one usually might only use this across doorways or around the walls it's not bad.

One type is called Listello, and they make it for walls but also floors.

This might offer some ideas:

http://www.studiotiles.com/html/cera...istellos_.html

http://www.claylandtile.com/gallery/...p?g2_itemId=12

Last edited by RWolff; 04-21-2013 at 02:30 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-21-2013), forcedreno2012 (04-21-2013), oh'mike (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

Use the same tile and create a header between the two. Suttle so it doesnt smack you in the face when you walk in the room but difined enough to seperate the two. Joist running two diffirent ways does not matter as long as the subfloor spans that. If it was hardwood floors then yes, you have to lay across joist. And I say have to lightly because you really dont have to do anything except die when your time comes.
skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Renovating My Land Yacht

My apologies I should have stated that we are on a slab so no issues with joists. Nice clean flat slab to deal with and no funky corners. I do want to put different tile in the next room as it will be too dark with the dark floor all the way across.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Tileguy

Don't forget about expansion joints at all the perimeters and in the field. The regularity of expansion joints in the field depends on dimensions and exposure.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
RWolff (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
My apologies I should have stated that we are on a slab so no issues with joists. Nice clean flat slab to deal with and no funky corners. I do want to put different tile in the next room as it will be too dark with the dark floor all the way across.
Sweet! yeah like skipoff says, you can be subtle, or you can be bold with a contrasting border as I show, personally I like the contrasting, in fact I really like a fancy border around the room maybe a foot or two away from the walls, but that's my style, may not be yours!

As Jazman says, don't forget the expansion joint at the walls (usually hidden by a baseboard) you'd be surprised how much a wide expanse of floor expands and I've seen a picture of a tile floor that had been put in TIGHT to the walls, it basically "exploded" upwards in the middle as it had no place to go.