Are Transition Pieces Required? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Are transition pieces required?

I'm interested in Triangulo's 5" Brazilian Pecan Coffee and going to install it in my great room, stairs and bedrooms. I want it flush to the existing tile floor in the kitchen and bathrooms and do not wish to install transition pieces. Is it possible? Am I limited myself to certain installation method - Floated or Glue-down? I'm also confused by the transition piece requirement. I was told that I can avoid using transition pieces but to use silicon based chalking then my manufacturer warranty won't be void. Is that true?

Thank you very much for your help!

tsquared

Advertisement

tsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

You need transition pieces. All wood or laminate flooring expands and contracts with humidity and/or temperature change. If it can't move, it will buckle or split.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

And if it does have issues the manufacturer will drop all responsibility in a heartbeat if you didn't follow their installation guidelines, even if the claim in completely unrelated.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 678

Have you gone on line and printed out the install directions from the manufacturer?
Have you contacted them and gotten permission in writing to do it your way?
There the ones going to be warrantying this not
a bunch of strangers on the net.
I agree with the other poster about the need for the strips. Only place I could see using caulking is if for example if the flooring was run parallel to an outside wall, past an exterior door where it meets the threshold.