Transition From Permastone To Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Transition from permastone to hardwood

We had permastone installed in our kitchen over sheet vinyl. The installer wanted to put a metal strip as the transition between the kitchen and the hall which is hardwood. I didn't want that so he used the old threshold and made it thinner to compensate for the new height difference. As you can see, it looks bad and is a trip hazard.

What can we do? I looked at new hw reducer transitions at Lowes, but they are very thick. How thin can we make the transition without it cracking? It seems to be a 3/8" difference between the floors as it is now. There must be something we can use. Most likely we'll do it ourselves as this guy said this is the best he can do.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Transition from permastone to hardwood-transition.jpg  

Advertisement

bedelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

That guy is a hack! I can't believe it when installers take the path of least resistance and dump on their customers like he did you.

There are mouldings available both unfinished and pre-finished but you may have to go to a real flooring store to find them.

You could have that piece you have there now planed-down with a taper. Taper it to 3/8" X 1/8" and you'll be fine. It would have to be stained of course.

I think Durastone (isn't that Durastone) has a reducer to match that pattern available also.

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It's not the same as Durastone (not sure they make that anymore). It's Permastone by Tarkett, a vinyl tile. I'll check out some stores.

I'm waiting for him to return my call since now a tile is popping up. What next.
bedelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

OK, I thought "Permastone" was the stuff you put on the exterior of a house to make it look like stone. My bad.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

i had a floor like that. installer called it a day and left it just like yours. course i get the tricky part and not the whole job but thats ok anyone can do the easy stuff. i took a couple of pieces of their hickory flooring and with a table saw and sanders was able to make a tapered t&g piece to fit their floor. time consuming with adding in clear sealer but looked sharp and easy on the feet
bedelia (05-11-2010)